Harriet Tubman

by Aislinn from Brookfield, Wisconsin

"Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world." - Harriet Tubman
<a href=http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aia/part4/images/4harr12b.jpg>Harriet Tubman</a>
Harriet Tubman

Harriet Tubman, as most people would know her, was the conductor of the Underground Railroad. She was an African American abolitionist, against the enslavement of the African Americans in the south. Harriet Tubman was born into slavery to Rit and Ben Ross in late February or early March between 1819 and 1822. Harriet was the fifth of nine children, all of whom were enslaved by a Mr. Edward Brodess. Harriet had always had a strong head on her shoulders and did not want to be a slave forever, so in 1844 she married John Tubman a free African American man. In fall of 1849 Harriet made her escape to Philadelphia without her loving family or husband. Harriet was fearless, and was especially determined to get her family to freedom who were still enslaved in Maryland. Harriet did indeed go back to the south for her family and other enslaved men, women, and children. Over the course of 10 years, brought over three hundred slaves to freedom, an astounding number for one women's hard work! Remembered as the "Moses of her people" Harriet died in 1913.

Harriet Tubman inspires me because of her determination, courage, and perseverance. Harriet was a strong women and I am ecstatic to be able to present her life. Harriet Tubman has always fascinated me for one reason: she was able to rescue hundreds of slaves spending over ten years of her life all while in the process of sticking to her one goal of bringing her family to freedom. I learned about Harriet in fourth grade and she has always been a role model to me. The accomplishments that she made throughout her lifetime are truly remarkable.

Harriet Tubman was a "conductor" of the Underground Railroad. If you don't know what the Underground Railroad is, then I will explain. The Underground Railroad was not a real railroad but rather a path to freedom for escaped slaves. The Underground Railroad was a series of stops and hideouts that were either houses with trap doors that led to tunnels or wagons that would transport slaves. Abolitionists would help by supplying food and shelter for the escapees. Harriet made hundreds of trips on the Underground Railroad escorting the slaves to freedom. Harriet Tubman was a threat to many white slave owners because she was helping their slaves escape and become free. Considered a "wanted" criminal, a reward was posted for her capture. Harriet, though, was never caught. Despite living into her early 90's, this remarkable woman was never able to rescue her entire family. Her determination to do so, however, benefited hundreds of others.

Harriet Tubman, after her escape from Dorchester County, Maryland, made her way to Philadelphia. While living there she continued her work with the Underground railroad and in addition to the hard work she put into the railroad she still felt like there was something more she could do. She enlisted in the Civil War to become a nurse and help wounded African American soldiers fight with the Union. Harriet was always a kind nurse in the war and always helped however she could while providing a positive attitude. After the war Harriet settled down in Auburn, New York, which became her well-known home until she died in 1913.

Harriet Tubman is a hero in my eyes because it is truly astounding to me that one women could do so much to impact the U.S. Harriet was a person with such a heart and passion for what she did that you could only find in one in a million people. Harriet helped the slaves to freedom risking her life for all of them and never once looking back. She didn't believe in regrets but that you should always listen to your heart and follow your dreams. Harriet was so well-liked and known during her lifetime. When she died on March 10, 1913 the people of the U.S.A. were devastated. Harriet received a military funeral and was buried in Fort Hill Cemetery with a marble tombstone bearing her name. Harriet was an inspiration to all people. She not only received the special funeral but she was remembered through a bronze plaque that was put up at the courthouse in Auburn, a liberty ship bearing her name christened by Eleanor Roosevelt, and a U.S. postal service stamp that had her name and character posted on it. Harriet once said "I would fight for my liberty so long as my strength lasted, and if the time came for me to go, the Lord would let them take me."

Harriet Tubman - Biography from New York History