Indira Gandhi

by Anu from Suwanee

Indira Gandhi 1917-1984 (rayaprolu.files.wordpress.com ())

"Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood...will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic." This quote was said by the Iron Lady of India, Indira Gandhi, who was a selfless, persistent and self-sacrificing woman. Indira Priyadarshini Nehru Gandhi (Indira Gandhi) was the first and only female prime minister of India. She worked hard to help women gain more rights, and also sacrificed her life to save the lives of other citizens of India from terrorist attacks. Indira Gandhi's actions reflect that she is selfless and persistent.

Indira Gandhi at the University Of Oxford (subcontinentalstyle.files.wordpress.com ())

Indira Gandhi was born on November 19, 1917 in Allahabad, India. Gandhi was the daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru, the first prime minister of India, and had most of her education in Europe. She went to the University of Oxford and Visva-Bharati University. She had a privileged childhood even though she couldn't spend much time with her parents. Gandhi spent most of her childhood away from her parents since she went to school in Europe and her parents were always busy. Also, Gandhi's mother got sick a lot and died when Gandhi was just 19. Gandhi's dad was usually busy since he was a part of the Indian Independence movement and was then elected to be the first prime minister of India, so Gandhi had to be more independent as a child. Gandhi was always passionate about women's rights, and since she was one of the more educated women in India, she was determined to change the gender barrier there. But, even though she didn't have her parents to take care of her when she was younger, that didn't stop her from doing great things (FamousPeople).

The assassination of Indira Nehru Gandhi (subcontinentalstyle.files.wordpress.com ())

Indira Gandhi was a hero to many people because she represents powerful women by being persistent and selfless. At the time Indira Gandhi was the prime minister of India (1966-1984), woman didn't have as many rights as men and were often treated unfairly. According to an essay, Indira Gandhi added an amendment to the Indian Constitution that says women and men earn equal amount of pay for an equal amount of work (FamousPeople). This fact shows that Indira Gandhi helped women earn rights and equal treatment, which shows that she is persistent because adding an amendment to the constitution which takes a lot of effort, time and patience. Some people may give up, but she was persistent and got it done. Another heroic character trait she had was selflessness. Another problem that occurred during her time as prime minister was that there were a lot of terrorists attacks going on. According to experts, Indira Gandhi was assassinated for allowing the army into a holy Sikh temple (the Golden Temple) because there were terrorists hiding in the temple. She knew that she would be killed for this act, but she said, "Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood... will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic" (RamAsrey Lal). This information shows that Indira Gandhi is selfless because she knew she would be assassinated by allowing the soldiers in the temple, but she still did it because she knew the terrorists would continue attacking and more people would die. Based upon these facts, it shows that Indira Gandhi was both persistent and selfless.

The famous speech
The famous speech

After Indira Gandhi was the prime minister of India, women got more equal treatment, and she also inspired other women to fight for their rights. Slowly women were treated better and got more personal sovereignty. She died on October 31, 1984 in New Dehli, India, but her legacy still continues. She helped more women enter the workforce and earn more equal pay. Gandhi also showed people that you should always do what's right and what will protect more people instead of always thinking about what's good for yourself. When she let the army into the temple knowing that some Sikh people would try to kill her, and she did end up getting killed by her own security guards, she knew that a lot of people were dying because of the attacks the from the terrorists, so she sacrificed her life to save others. This act inspires so many people and shows what a great person she was. Many of Indira Gandhi's acts have had many positive long-term effects on the citizens of India (Biography editors).

In light of this evidence, one can conclude that Indira Gandhi was a selfless and persistent. She did many things for her country and the citizens of her country, and she always thought of others before herself. If it wasn't for Indira Gandhi, women could still be treated unfairly and many people would have died because of the terrorist attacks that Indira Gandhi "sacrificed" her life for. She changed many things for the good of people.