John Dalton

by Jake from Marathon

John Dalton
John Dalton

John Dalton was one of the greatest renaissance people. A renaissance person is someone who invents something. John Dalton invented something. Read on to find out some facts about John Dalton. John Dalton was born on September 6, 1766 in Eagles field near Carlisle, England. As a child, Dalton learned from a formal education but his family was very poor. Both he and his brother were born color blind. When he was fourteen, he spent a year working as a farmhand.

Sculpture of John Dalton
Sculpture of John Dalton

Dalton was one of the first to describe color blindness, which is sometime called Daltonism. He also discovered the Dalton's law which describes the relation of Particle Pressure. Dalton revered the idea of atoms as building blocks of matter. John Dalton discovered the atom in 1803. Some time after he became the member of the Manchester Literary and Philosophical society after he wrote his first paper about color blindness (Britannica).

John Dalton
John Dalton

Dalton is the best known for his 1803 revival on a scientific basic of the Ancient Greek idea that all materials are formed from tiny particles (John Dalton). In part, Dalton had prepared for this idea with his development of two gas laws. Dalton also developed the theory of red and green color blindness

John Dalton
John Dalton

In 1768 the brothers purchased a school in Kendal, where approximately 60 students. In Manchester he was elected president of the Literary and Philosophical Society in 1817. He remained in Manchester and thought private pupils. He held that office the rest of his life. In 1793 he moved to Manchester to teach mathematics at a new college. He was an English meteorologist and a chemist. At the age of of fourteen, Dalton left his position to study husbandry on a farm.

John Dalton - Chemical Heritage Foundation

Work cited

Dalton John. "Discovered the atom and he researched the visual disorder of color blindness, now called Daltonism.
Wed. 20 Feb. 2013, Britannica

Known , Unknown. "Britannica ." [Online] Available MLA .