Johannes Gutenberg

by Joe from Marathon

Johannes Gutenberg was one of the most important people in history. He was a Renaissance man because he pushed the limits of science, art, and technology for new hopes.

This is Johannes Gutenberg (www.biography.com)

Johannes Gutenberg was born in Mainz, Germany in 1400 ("Johhanes Gutenberg"). His father was his main caregiver. He also influenced him the most, his father stamped gold coins. Later Gutenberg became a blacksmith and picked up the skill to do the building and designing to make his press (Mr. Dowling).

He came up with the idea of a movable type printing press. He borrowed all of the money to start his building of the press. He based his movable type off of the Chinese/Korean Block style printing (Romano). This method took much longer to print and it needed some easier way. That is why he wanted to make something new. His movable type could print up to six hundred books a year. Gutenberg's idea was amazing. He started out with the Bible and it became his best known work (Biography.com).

His invention amazed many people and helped many read and learn more. Also books became very cheap so poor people could buy them. Before the press books were handwritten and were expensive and only the royals could afford them. So his invention made many people's lives better and easier.

This is Gutenberg Using his Press to Print  Bibles (Fx.worth.1000.com )
This is Gutenberg Using his Press to Print Bibles (Fx.worth.1000.com )

Many people think Gutenberg's invention didn't make much of a difference for today. This is not true, his invention changed the lives of many people back then as well as today. This was one of the first revolutionary printers and if Gutenberg had not  designed this, printers today might not have progressed as far. The world today would be different (Britannica School Edition). Overall Gutenberg helped many people read and learn more. He basically started the literary revolution. He made life easier for so many people, and made books cheaper and affordable for the poor. People loved what he did and won't forget him. This is why Gutenberg should be remembered for all he did. Today only 22 of all the original Bibles are left. The press is gone, according to scientists. Gutenberg is possibly one of the best inventors ever to live, and should be remembered for it.

About.com
Johannes Gutenberg - asme.org (American Society of Mechanical Engineers

"Johann Gutenberg." Mr. Dowling . N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb 2013. .

Johhanes Gutenberg ." . N.p., n.d. Web. 15 Feb 2013. Romano, Frank J. "Gutenberg, Johannes." World Book Student. World Book, 2013 . Web. 15 Feb. 2013.

"Gutenberg, Johannes." Compton's by Britannica. Encyclopedia Britannica Online School Edition.

Encyclopedia Britannica, Inc., 2013. Web. 15 Feb. 2013.

.

http://www.biography.com/people/johannes-gutenberg-9323828

Mr. Dowling . "Johannes Gutenberg ." [Online] Available < Www.mrdowling.com/704-gutenberg.html>. . 2013.

Ebsohost. "Johannes Gutenberg ." [Online] Available . 2013 .

Frank J Romano . "Johannes Gutenberg ." [Online] Available . 2013.

Unknown . "Johannes Gutenberg ." [Online] Available .

A&E Networks. "Johannes Gutenberg ." [Online] Available . 2013 .