John McCain

by Jeffrey from Roxboro

John McCain is my hero. He fought in Vietnam, he was captured and tortured for 5 1/2 years straight. He got captured during Vietnam because he was in a fighter plane and nearly got killed. While going down, he pressed the ejection button. The pressure of the ejection broke one of his legs and both of his arms.

As he floated down he landed in water. When he landed in the water he realized it was a struggle to get to the top and didn't know why he couldn't move his leg. But his quick thinking saved him from drowning. He used his mouth to pull his life preserver which floated him to the top. Once at the top he paddled to the shore, once at the shore Vietnamese soldiers surrounded him and started kicking and beating him. He couldn't get up and looked down at his leg and realized it was broken. The bone was poking out of the skin and he said "Oh my God". This made them angry and one of them stabbed him in the broken leg.

Later on through infected wounds, a broken jaw and barely any food, he survived and didn't give up one word to the Vietnamese. To put them off, McCain promised he would tell them more if he could receive medical care. The doctor refused, saying he was almost dead anyway. Then someone found out that he was the son of a four star admiral and he was finally treated. He saved a lot of Americans lives by his strength of will. He is not just a hero to me but to the United States of America.

Today he lives in Phoenix, Arizona. He's a Senator and ran for president once and lost to George W. Bush. But as John McCain is a trooper he ran again this year. He may have lost but he kept up good spirit.

This is my Hero, A man who never let his country down, Served through thick and thin, Thank you for reading.

Interview - with nurse
Biography - Video and More

Norton, Bruce. American War Heros.

Wizner, Kira. John McCain.