Staff Sergeant Jeremiah Workman

by Nathan from Palmer

A hero is someone who inspires people by their actions, but it's not always by saving lives
 (http://www.defenselink.mil/heroes/profiles/workmanJ.html)

My hero was awarded for his extreme heroism. His name is Jeremiah Workman. He is a Staff Sergeant in the U.S. Navy. Staff Sergeant Jeremiah Workman was born in Marion, OH. Workman is a squad leader for the Mortar Platoon, Weapons Company, 3rd Battalion, 5th Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 1, 1st Marine Division. He was awarded the Navy Cross, the highest medal in the navy. What did he do? He saved 6 marines while risking his life, being straight in the line of fire.

The day before Christmas Jeremiah was picking up weapons and rubble from the streets of a battle that happened earlier when he heard gunfire. Workman and his squad ran down the street to a two story house where the gunfire was coming from. He looked through the window and saw some marines pinned down by heavy gunfire. The marines were on the first floor. Workman looked again and realized there were some marines captured upstairs.

Jeremiah ran up the stairs inside and was jumping around firing his weapon. This provided a distraction for the marines downstairs and that allowed them to escape. Once Workman realized that his squad mates didn’t follow him he ran back downstairs. He led an assault through the house, this time with his squad mates, staying together in a 360 degree security the whole time. What he did next is pretty amazing.

Workman and his squad cleared the second floor, killing all of the insurgents as they walked through the second floor. The squad ran low on ammo so they ran back downstairs to restock. A grenade came out through the window and exploded sending shrapnel into Workman’s leg. Workman still gathered his team and went inside for a third strike even though he was wounded. He still remained strong being able to walk.

The remaining insurgents were firing at the team from the second floor. Workman still led his team up the stairs to rescue the trapped and injured marines. Workman received his Purple Heart, Navy Marine Corps Achievement Medal, and the Combat Action Ribbon along with his Navy Cross. He stayed strong when wounded and brave when alone providing cover for marines. Jeremiah Workman is a true hero of the war on terror.

Workman saved the lives of six people in Iraq, he risked his life to the fullest. He went back in when he was wounded, and did all of this, not because he wanted to, but because he knew the marines would die if he didn’t. If you don’t think Jeremiah Workman is a true hero, then I don’t know who your hero will be.

Heroes - defenselink.mil