Poets

Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz

by Ana Yarely from Tampico

She was a great poet during her time. She was Mexican. She was born in San Miguel Nepantla. She learned to read and write when she was only 3 years old, and when she was 8 she studied in her grandfather’s library. She traveled to Mexico City and there she learned Latin in 20 lessons. In 1667 she went to a convent of San José to dedicate herself to study but she got sick and left this convent so later she went to the convent of San Geronimo; she spend the rest of her life there and she died on April 17th in this convent. She was an amazing writer.

SHE IS MY HERO BECAUSE…… she was a very intelligent woman who tried to change the world, also because she was a woman who expresses what she thinks. She was a distinguished poet who told what she felt, what she likes, and what she was. She was very special because, even now, many important writers in the world consider that she can look farther away than anyone; she described all in detail almost as if she can look at it in her mind, almost she could touch it. I think that she is fabulous and creative when she used the words to make something very realist. I am proud that she is absolutely a Mexican woman.

I think that all the rest of the world consider her as a hero because she did things that no woman would like to do or considered right to try to do it. She was very brave and she was competing with some of the best writers who are men. She is a very well known woman in the country where she lived: MEXICO; and in other countries, too. She was very important when she was alive, she helped the people when she could, and she was generous and compassionate. She was a good person who tried to improve the world. We have to be like this kind of person who always thinks of others.