Jackie Robinson

by Daniel G. From Sycamore Junior High

You may think of a hero as someone who risked their life for some one else. In a way he did that. Jackie Robinson was one of the best baseball players, along with the first Negro to play in the major leagues. He opened the door for all of the great African American superstars today. Such as Barry Bonds and Ken Griffey Jr. by breaking the color barrier.

Robinson was brought into the world on January 31, 1919 in Cairo, Georgia. Throughout most of his childhood he grew up in Pasadena, California. Jackie lived when the Blacks really weren’t appreciated and through his struggles and hardships brought energy and style into the majors.

Once he really started to get it going him and his team throughout his career, The Brooklyn Dodgers, were nearly unstoppable, winning six National League Pennants, and. Along with countless Awards, such as Rookie of the year in 1947, the National League Most Valuable Player in 1949. Also, in 1962 he was elected into the Baseball Hall of Fame after 11 seasons. Truly through these achievements Jackie showed young black children that if you try hard enough you can do anything.

After reading, A Hero’s Trail, by T.A. Barron, our class picked heroes to research. I picked Jackie Robinson because he really helped baseball meld into a fuller sport by giving the possibilities to African Americans today. Jackie is a hero within. This is because throught out his career he had many people doubt him, and through it all he gathered up the courage inside himself and shined. Also he is a hero within because in hard times he persevered through the controversy and troubles that were brought to him by both the social and baseball communities. Through this he became a true and inspiring hero to many people, and today his foundation, the Jackie Robinson Foundation (JRF) provides college scholarships to minority youths.

Even if a hero doesn't risk their life to save another they are still heroes. Jackie Robinson is truly a hero because what he believed in, that baseball is open to any man. With his efforts he set examples for today; his hope, courage, and full heart were what made Jackie Robinson a true hero.

Jackie Robinson Foundation - supports college scholorships for minorities
Baseball Hall of Fame - Baseball's Hall of Fame official website