Kimberly Chang

by Emma from Pickerington

My definition of a hero is someone that proves that anything is possible. Someone who never gives up and makes others feel hopeful and excited for the future.

Yes, it is important to have a hero because people need someone to admire and follow in their footsteps. They need a leader and an inspiration. They allow people to set goals to become better.

Kimberly went on to become a successful doctor. (veryicon.com)

Kimberly Chang is a hero for several reasons. First of all, her and her mother left Hong Kong for America. They were unsure of their future, and neither knew much English. They had to make their way working in a low income factory and an unfurnished, roach-infested apartment. Kimberly put her best effort in school and was accepted into Harrison Prep School on full scholarship. While there, she struggled with classes at first, but then pulled through and was accepted to Yale also on full scholarship. She said, "She looked over my shoulder to stare at the cracked walls and open oven; then her gaze found the stuffed animal vest I was wearing."(242) This persistence and perseverance shows that she is a hero because she brought her family up from nothing. Second of all, later on in life, Kimberly got pregnant with Matt, her first love. "You need to tell him... I can't"(270) She was a hero in this situation because while she could have burdened him with this, but instead she chose to keep it from him in order to keep his conscience clear. At the time she decided to keep the baby, she also chose to break it off with Matt and keep the baby hidden from him. "I kept Jason's father from him all these years. When I gave Matt up, I forced Jason to do the same."(290) She made the ultimate sacrifice for both her and her child.

Kimberly Chang should be inducted into a hero hall of fame for many reasons. First of all, most people having to go through her situation would not have been able to keep the hope and faith that she did. Furthermore, most people don't have to go through that situation in the first place. She dedicated herself to school and worked until she could support herself and her mother. Through all of her efforts, she kept her and her mother afloat and eventually ended up finding their first good apartment. Kimberly never complained and never gave up. She ended up achieving a good job that lead to a good life.

Interview between Kimberly Chang:
-Hello Kimberly. How are you doing today?
-I'm good, thanks.
-So to start off describe for me your first day in America.
-Everything was different than I pictured it. As we drove further into New York the buildings became more and more run down. I soon realized that I wasn't going to be staying in the beautiful Manhattan I had dreamed of.
-Did you feel a sense of alienation at your new home?
-In some ways yes, but in others no. We moved into China Town, so most people still spoke Chinese.
-What about when you went to your first school?
-At that point yes. They were all African American and there were only a few white people. I was the only Chinese person.
-What was the difference between P.S.44 and Harrison Prep school?
-At P.S.44 everyone was more casual and not everyone was a rich so I felt more comfortable at that school. At Harrison Prep everyone had fancy clothes and people made fun of me for having less money then them.
-When did you start to feel like you really fit in in America?
-Some of the kids at school started to accept me more once a boy Curt needed my to tutor him. Since he was nice to me, other people were too.
-What was the hardest decision you had to make?
-When I found out I was pregnant with Jason I had originally decided to get an abortion, but when I saw my ultra sound I immediately fell in love.
-So then what did you decide to do?
-Since I was originally going to Yale on full scholarship I postponed it for a year. After I had Jason I went to school while maintaining four jobs to pay my way through.
-I can't imagine how hard that must have been. Did your mother stay with you?
-Yes, I am forever grateful for everything she did for me. I wouldn't be where I am today without her.
-Who is your hero?
-I look up to Wendy Williams. She didn't have the same upbringing as me, but she also started with a little and made something big of herself.
-Last question, do you have any regrets?
-No, I'm extremely pleased with the way my life turned out and I don't have any regrets.
-Thank you for meeting with me.
-It was my pleasure.

Kimberly Chang is the girl from the book Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok.