Kalpana Chawla

by Kelsi from Lewistown

<a href=http://diodon349.com/General_Stuff/STS-107_Kalpana_Chawla.htm>Kalpana Chawla</a>
Kalpana Chawla

Choosing my hero took a while for me. I couldn’t just choose anyone, I didn’t think. I wanted to pick someone who has really done something to be proud of and that people will remember them by. After careful thought and consideration I chose Kalpana Chawla.

Many of you might know who she is already, but for those of you who don’t know who she is, she is one of the seven astronauts killed in the tragic wreck of Columbia, the spaceship that crashed a few years back. The crash was a tragedy that shocked us all.

Kalpana was first selected by NASA in December 1994. At that time she was told she was going to be the crew representative to work technical issues for the Astronaut Office EVA/Robotics and Computer Branches. Kalpana worked as hard as she could and gave 110% all the time. On the STS-87 her position was mission specialist and prime robotic arm operator. She completed 6.5 million miles in 252 orbits of the Earth and 376 hours and 34 minutes in space on her very first mission.

Kalpana immigrated to America from India in the 1980’s. When she got to America she attended the University of Texas and University of Colorado where she got both her undergraduate and advanced degrees in aerospace engineering. By that time she had been selected by NASA to be an astronaut trainee. She went on her first trip into space in 1997 and chalked up 6.5 million miles!

Why did I choose Kalpana Chawla? She is a hero in my eyes and many others as well. She was caring, thoughtful, brave, and very adventurous. This woman tried her hardest at everything and deserves to be recognized as a hero.

Kalpana Chawla
1962-2003