Karol Józef Wojtyla

by Jennie Shaw from Houston

Karol Józef Wojtyla was born in Wadowice, Poland on May 18, 1920. He was the second of two sons born to Karol Wojty?a and Emilia Kaczorowska. His mother died in 1929. His older brother Edmund, a doctor, died in 1932, and his father died in 1941.

His family was very devout, and he made his First Holy Communion at age 9 and was confirmed at 18. Upon graduation from Marcin Wadowita high school in Wadowice, he attended Jagiellonian University in Cracow in 1938 to study drama. The Nazis occupied Poland in 1939, and closed all of the universities. Karol had to work in a stone quarry, and then a chemical factory to avoid being deported to Germany until 1944.In 1942, he studied at the “underground” seminary of Cracow, run by the archbishop. When the war was over, he was able to finish his seminary studies, and was ordained in Cracow on November 1, 1946. Next, he went to Rome, to continue his studies. He got his doctorate in theology in 1948. In 1958, he was appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Cracow by Pope Pius XII. In 1964, he was nominated Archbishop of Cracow by Pope Paul VI, and was made a cardinal in 1967.

He took part in Vatican Council II making several important contributions. He was elected pope on October 16, 1978. The world’s most traveled pope to date, John Paul II has logged 104 pastoral visits outside of Italy and 146 within Italy. He has met with presidents Reagan, Bush, Clinton, and Bush at the Vatican, and George W. Bush at the White House. Revered for his expertise in ethics and morality, he has counseled the presidents on the subject of United States involvement in world affairs many times. George W. Bush has met with him on four occasions to discuss U.S. legislation on the “life issues,” and the war with Iraq. He was the beloved leader of millions of American Catholics, who took his teachings on justice and the sanctity of life into the voting booth.

John Paul II was more than just a world leader and shepherd of the Church, he was a hero to young Catholics throughout the world. He wrote and spoke words of encouragement to the world’s youth at every opportunity. At World Youth Day in 1997 he said, “You are our future, the future of the Church and the world. Do not be afraid to embrace this responsibility, for God is with you always. His love for you is beyond measure. He loves you , and I love you!”

The Vatican - A direct link to the Holy Vatican
CNN - special report on the popes life
Catholics.net - Infomation on the pope
CNN - Presnt day coverage of the pope