Martin Luther King, Jr.

by Desiree from Lincoln, Nebraska

A portrait of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Desiree (I drew this picture.)

Martin Luther King, Jr. is a very important person. Martin Luther King, Jr. was born on the fifteenth of January in 1929. He was raised in Atlanta, Georgia. He was the oldest son. His parents were Martin Luther King, Sr. and Alberta Williams. In 1950 he graduated from Crozer College. Martin Luther King, Jr. got married in 1953 to Coretta Scott. They had four children.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was a very nice and peaceful man who worked hard for civil rights. He wanted people to stop being judged by their skin color. He was good at public speaking, which made people want to listen to him.

Martin Luther King, Jr. studied a lot in college. He was very smart. He studied how to have protests that were peaceful. He also studied how people were treating other people. He used what he learned from his dad and what he learned in college to teach kindness to everyone.

Martin Luther King, Jr. did many good things. He really wanted freedom for everyone in the world. He led a lot of peace protests. He was the leader of the Montgomery bus boycott. In Washington, DC, Martin Luther King, Jr. gave his most famous speech called ‘‘I Have a Dream’’ in front of more than 200,000 people. His speech talked about what he hoped would happen for everyone, that everyone would be equal and have the same freedom. His marches and speeches made people see that they didn’t have to be mean to people to be heard.

Martin Luther King, Jr. also led demonstrations. People started to understand and want what he was talking about. He even went to jail sometimes. But he always got out. He was the best leader that fought for civil rights, and people were affected by him. He was fighting for the rights of everyone who was treated badly.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was killed in Memphis, Tennessee by a man named James Earl Ray on April 4, 1968. He was there to support workers that were being treated unfairly. Many people were mad at the person that killed him, and they were very sad.

Martin Luther King, Jr. worked hard so that people would be equal and free. His contributions and dreams helped people to be treated equally. All races can now drink from the same water fountain and use the same bathroom. They all have the same rights to do the same things. The most impressive thing about him was that he died while fighting for civil rights, that’s why people like him so much.

Martin Luther King, Jr. was so important, he did so much for everyone.

Martin Luther King, Jr. - Good website for information on him