Jesse Koochin

by Daniella C. from Sycamore Jr. High

Jesse after he survived cancer. (www.jessekoochin.com)

When I think of hero I think of someone who has done something great not necessarily someone rich and famous. My hero surprisingly is much younger than I am. He is a little boy that has dealt with a major disease and beat it. This little boy has had more struggles in about 6 years than many people would have in their whole lives.

My hero was diagnosed with cancer in the brain and the spinal cord when he was only six years old. He was very weak and couldn’t really walk and talk as well as other kids his age. When Jesse became six he showed no signs of having cancer except for throwing up and feverish, but his parents thought it was only a virus that kids were getting. After a while though his parents started getting worried that he wasn’t getting any better so they took him to the hospital, after a couple of hours at the hospital the doctor told Jesse and his parents that he was diagnosed with a tumor to the brain and the spinal cord and needed to be taken into surgery as soon as possible.

Jesse while in kimotherapy (www.jessekoochin.com)

Jesse's treatment wasn't working out very well in the United States, and the doctors predicted that he wouldn't live out the week. Their was only one hope of Jesse's survival. Their was this treatment in Mexico that was not allowed in the United States, and when Jesse's mother went to court so the hospital to let her and her son go to Mexico. At first the court said no but as Jesse got worse they agreed that as a final chance to let him go to Mexico. When Jesse got to Mexico he was taken directly to the emergency room to have major surgery and start the treatment. After a couple of weeks you could see a big difference in Jesse he was more active and livelier. Jesse is still alive his day with no brain tumor of spinal cancer.

Jesse relates to Survivor hero in T.A Barrens book. I think this because he never gave up and nether did his parents. He survived cancer which is very hard to do. His parents say that every day that he could speak he would be so optimistic to how everything was going to work out. That’s how I relate Jesse Koochin to "Survivor Hero.”

Like I said when I think of a hero I don't think about someone that discovered a get rich quick scheme. I think of someone who’s done something great to inspire people to live life to the fullest. That is something Jesse Koochin did for me. When I realized how lucky I am to not have that disease I wish the best for people who do, and I have learned to never be unhappy when something doesn't always go my way because you never know when our whole life is going to change.

Jesse koochin - Jesse koochin's story
Stories - insperational stories
health - how to keep healthy when having cancer