L. Frank Baum

by Samantha from West Tisbury

L Frank Baum (drawing by Samantha)
L Frank Baum (drawing by Samantha)

L. FRANK BAUM

People say dreams don’t come true but this man’s dream did. L. Frank Baum was a creative man who loved to write stories. As a young boy, he loved the theatre. His father built him a theatre but he burned it down. As an adult, he tried to get his stories published, but none of them made it. One night, while he was lying down in bed, just waiting for an idea to come, there it was, right in front of him, waiting to be claimed. L. Frank Baum took the chance to make the idea into one of his stories to be published and put on store shelves in every book store. He jumped out of bed and started to write the story. A story about a little girl carried away in a cyclone to a far land of strange people. Along the way she meets a brainless scarecrow, a heartless tin-man, and a lion without courage. They make their way down the yellow brick road to the City of Emeralds to get their wishes granted. L. Frank Baum got his story published and he wrote many more stories of Oz. One day his book, The Wizard of Oz, was made into a movie. It was the first colored movie. The movie starred a beautiful girl, Judy Garland. She starred in the movie at the age fifteen. I think L. Frank Baum would have been pleased with the movie and it’s now believed to be the most watched movie in history. This one man’s dream became a legend.

Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz (drawing by Samantha)