Sgt. Leroy Petry

by Eric from Philadelphia

Leroy Petry was born July 29th, 1979 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. He went to Santa Fe High School but dropped out because of poor grades. He enlisted in the United States Army and is now currently a Sergeant First Class. On a rare daytime raid mission, Leroy and three other soldiers were preparing to capture a target. In the middle of a firefight, a grenade was thrown in Leroy's direction, risking his life. He grabbed the grenade and threw it. As soon as he released, it exploded and his arm from the elbow down was severed. He was taken to a U.S. hospital in Germany and now has a prosthetic arm. He received the Medal of Honor from President Barrack Obama and is currently alive and well today.

He is a hero because he risked his life for the lives of others and is an extremely brave person for both joining the army and saving the other soldiers. Some heroic attributes he has are bravery and selflessness.