The Laughing Man

by Lea from Pickerington

" The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Is it important to have a Hero?

Well I say yes and no. It's important because you need somebody you can count on and that you have someone to look up to to help you with your dreams. But, I say no because you need to be able to look after yourself and know how to be a hero within yourself and inspire others. Other than that I think having a hero is important.

What really is a Hero?

In my opinion a hero is someone willing to risk it all for the ones you love or just for a person walking by you on the street. A true honest hero has the heart to do the impossible no matter how big the risk is.

Who is the Hero in "When You Reach Me."

The Laughing Man/ Marcus is the Hero to the story." 32. The truck hits The Laughing Man."( Stead, 160). He is the hero in the story because he saved Sal over his own life for Miranda because he knew how much Sal meant to her. He is also the hero for he gets Miranda and Sal to become friends again and allows Miranda to get more friends in the process. But along with saving Miranda and Sal, the laughing man is the hero for getting Miranda to solve the notes all by herself by just talking to her as Marcus about time travel "Time travel is possible" (Stead, 188) and talking the her as the Laughing Man and encouraging her " Smart Kid" ( Stead, 144). That is why Marcus/ The Laughing Man is the Hero. For his bravery and kinds words and letting those find things out for themselves.

Why should the Laughing Man be in the Hero Hall of Fame?

Why should we have Marcus or better known as The Laughing Man into the Hall of Fame. Well it's because he is a hero. Marcus/LM can travel through time and with using that power and with the help of Miranda writing the letter he was able to save a life. Knowing he was going to die, The Laughing Man kicked Sal out of the way of the truck saving him but causing his own death. He did that all for Miranda because he knew how much Sal meant to her. With doing that sacrifice he saved not only Sal but, his friendship with Miranda which he hoped would make her happy because by all he knew he caused the end of the friendship. At the very end of it all he was able to show the truth about time travel and about real friendship, growing up and understanding each other. That is why he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame for Heroes. For his courage, his love, his compassion, for his heroism.

Q&A with the Hero

Lea Sewell: Who's your Hero?

Laughing Man: I don't really have a hero. With moving around from time to time you don't get used to having one.

LS: Did you have a hero back in 1979, when you were in sixth grade?

LM: Uhhh, not really maybe my brother, I always wanted to make him proud, but I really don't know or remember.

LS: Do you think yourself as a hero?

LM: I don't know! Do you think of yourself as a Hero!!

LS: Do you wish that you could change the outcome of the story?

LM: What outcome? Nothing has happened yet? What's going to happen?

LS: Alrighty lets move on. What made you start getting into the time travel idea?

LM: Books, lots of books like that one book that Miranda would always read. Oh! Also when she gave me the letter which began to let me think a lot about it.

LS: What did yo think of Miranda at first?

LM: I didn't think of her a lot of first. I just thought she was this girl who took me to the dentist at school. She seemed to like "Wrinkle in Time" book so we talked about time travel that's all really.

LS: Why did you hit Sal?

LM: Because my brother told me I would have to hit somebody and then get hit back. I saw him walking by so I thought why not.

LS: What did the others think of you after you hit him?

LM: What kids? Haha! Smart kid!

LS: Were you confused or surprise when Miranda gave you the letter?

LM: Both because I was confused why she gave it to me but, so surprise well more like excited that I or even time travel can happen! I could -

We had to cut the interview short for Laughing Man/ Marcus began to fade away into air.

A Time Travel Website: Introduction - it explains how time travel is possible and what happens with it

My hero is from the book "When You Reach Me" by Rebecca Stead. This is a great book and really fun to read. I say anyone that wants to read a nice and sweet book about time travel and growing up they should pick up this book. But pretty much anyone can read it for it is a very good book.