Marjorie Joyner

by Lonyae And Dawn from Illinois

Marjorie Joyner was born on October 24, 1896 in Virginia. Joyner was the granddaughter of a slave owner and a slave. In her early years she later On Moved To Chicago To Pursue Her Career As A Cosmetologist. She Soon Became The First African American To Graduate From A.B Molar Beauty School. After Graduating From Molar She Met Madame C.J. Walker and became a Teacher For Her and Worked Over 200 Of Her Beauty Schools The National Advisor.

In 1926 She Started looking For Ways To Straighten The Hair. Her Inspiration Came From A Pot Roaster And She Later Invented The Permanent Wave Machine Which Is Used To Straighten or Curl Hair. The Style Would last for Several Days. Later She Became The First African American To Secure a Patent. Joyner Later Improved Her Machine By adding A Scalp protector And An Electric Cord That heated The Rods.

<a href=https://www.chipublib.org/003cpl/hf/Joyner-a.jpg>Marjorie Stewart Joyner</a> (third from right) is shown utilizing her invention
Marjorie Stewart Joyner (third from right) is shown utilizing her invention

The Permanent Wave Machine Was Created To Insure Long lasting Curls. Because Of The Machine Success She Soon Opened Her Own Shop. Also Had Costumers Such As Billie Holiday, Lena Horne, Ethel Waters, Louis Armstrong. She Later Married Robert Joyner.

Joyner Was A Civic Leader And A Philanthropist. She Also Was The Co-founder Of The Cosmopolitan Community Church. She Also Gave Back to her community by doing fund raisers. Joyner chaired the Womans Division of Democratic National Campaign committee in 1994

In our opinion Marjorie Joyner was a big inventor because her invention changed the history of hair and her invention process is still being used in salons today. Marjorie Joyner died on October 24,1994 at the age of 98 due to natural causes

WE`D LIKE TO GIVE A SPECIAL THANKS TO ALL OF THE PLACES WHERE WE GOT OUR INFORMATION: