Martin Luther King Jr.

by Jonathan from Cairo, Egypt

"I Have a Dream..."
Martin Luther King Jr.
Martin Luther King Jr.

"I Have a Dream" - no doubt these words have resounded through the years in the hearts and minds of every African American, especially those that marched through Washington and heard Martin Luther King Jr. give his speech. This speech truly changed the way people looked at the world. It showed King's dream for a future where blacks and whites could coexist together as equals. This speech was given to over 250,000 civil rights supporters and was a defining moment of the American civil rights movement.

Martin Luther King Jr. was an African American activist and a prominent leader in the civil rights movement. He was born in Atlanta, Georgia, and was the middle child in the King family. He was one of the great philosophers of his time, as well as being a Baptist minister after taking over for his dad. Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the founders of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, which was created to harness the moral authority and organizing power of black churches to conduct non-violent protests in the service of civil rights reform.

Martin Luther King Jr. was a man of many accomplishments. At the age of fifteen he graduated from high school. He attended Morehouse College and Crozer Theological Seminary. He received his doctor of philosophy from Boston University. He later became involved in civil rights and was elected president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. King's leadership and courage helped maintain the bus boycott until victory was achieved. "At the age of thirty-five he was the youngest man to receive the Nobel Prize award for his work to end racial segregation and racial discrimination through civil disobedience and other non-violent means. After all of his work in the civil rights movement he emerged as a Negro leader of the first rank."

Martin Luther King Jr. deserves to be called a hero because of what he did. Dr. King was a strong, caring person and that is why he is a hero to many people, but not only that, Dr. King stood up for himself and many others. King hated the fact that people separated white people and blacks; he rebelled against this division. He deserves to be a hero because he ended the discrimination against blacks. He changed the way blacks and whites look at each other. If it weren't for Martin Luther King Jr., I wouldn't be able to play with the people I play with today. Martin Luther King Jr. is a hero not only to me, but to many other African Americans around the world. King did not get his way by fighting, but instead used a better and more efficient approach by using non-violent ways. He exhibited peacefulness in his everyday life to help end segregation. This is why Martin Luther King Jr. is my hero.

Martin Luther King Jr. was an outstanding civil rights leader of his time. He was a phenomenal speaker. Through his many speeches and non-violent protests he helped advance his dream of equal rights for all Americans. Unfortunately, he died before he could see his dream come true.

Martin Luther King Jr. - Nobel Prize