Martin Luther King

by Mart' from France

<a href=http://www.upenn.edu/aarc/mlk/mlktop.jpg>Martin Luther King</a>
Martin Luther King

First, I'm going to introduce Martin Luther King and what he accomplished.

Martin Luther King studied a lot in different universities. He received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1948, a Bachelor of Divinity degree in 1951, and a Doctor of Philosophy dgree in 1955. In 1953 he married Coretta Scott. In 1954 he became the pastor of a Baptist church in Montgomery, Alabama. In 1955 he organised a boycott of buses in Montgomery, which began when Rosa Parks, a black woman, refused to give her seat to a white man. Indeed, front seats were reserved for white people. Then the United States justices decided to stop apartheid in buses, schools and restaurants. In 1957 Martin Luther King came to power as president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, a pacifist organisation.

Martin Luther King is famous for his speech, "I Have a Dream." He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964. Before he was murdered, he continued his fight against racism and began his fight against poverty. He was assassinated on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee. A national mourning was decreed by the government. His murder caused riots in 60 cities. 300,000 people attended Martin Luther King's burial.

In the next part of my essay, I'm going to explain why I chose Martin Luther King as my hero.

I find Martin Luther King had a lot of charisma. He was a pacifist, the opposite of Malcolm X. Martin Luther King inspired the director of X-men: he is like Professor Xavier and Malcolm X like Magneto. Both of them fight for their cause, but differently. I think it's a good parallel but you must see X-men to understand...

I pay particular attention to apartheid. It is totally wrong that some people consider themselves more important than others. I find Martin Luther King a very brave man to have gotten involved in a fight against racism. His work resulted in change to laws in America. This fight against racism is always present. Even though a lot of things or events like apartheid in the USA or South Africa, or Hitler who executed a lot of Jewish people during the Second World War prove racism cruel and wrong, men continue to be violent and narrow-minded. I believe Martin Luther King merits honors more than generals who win wars with fighting.

Martin Luther King - Nobel Peace Prize