Angels

Martha Birkett

by Leanne from Calgary

"I want to do something that will make a difference in the lives of children."
Martha Birkett Web (I made it myself.)
Martha Birkett Web (I made it myself.)

Martha Birkett was born on a farm in Niagara-On-The-Lake. Martha's full name is Martha Ann Birkett. Martha grew up on that farm. Martha was born into a family of nine kids by John and Mary Vandelaar. It must have been a full house! Martha was closest to her dad. In fact her dad, John Vandelaar, was even her hero! Martha's first school was St. Elizabeth. When Martha wasn't at school, she tried to be with her horse as much as she could. Through the years Martha got older and went to Norderdam High school. In 1980 Martha had her first child, Sarah. In 1982 Martha had her second child, Shauna. In 1986 Samantha, her third child, was born. In 1986 her young family moved to Lodgepole, Alberta. There she worked for the Alberta Forest service.

Martha with her 1st horse (I made it myself.)

In 1993 Martha and her three young daughters moved to Cochrane, Alberta. In Cochrane Martha worked for the secretary of Cochrane’s Fire and Ambulance. After two years Martha began to work for the 9-1-1 emergency operator Fire dispatcher for the city of Calgary. Martha soon began working for a childrens' riding camp, Bates Bar J Ranch. There she was a head counseller. Here Martha worked with children and horses.

Martha with her horse Coco (From www.giddyupforwishes.com)

From day one Martha has loved horses. Martha spends a lot of time riding all of her horses in the Foothills, Rocky Mountains and don’t forget Cochrane. Martha has ridden in the Calgary Stampede parade. Martha rode in the parade for a group called “Women of the Wild West”. Martha made a great choice in the summer of 2007. Martha started to do competitive trail riding. Knowing Martha she had already fallen in love with the sport.

logo (I made it myself)
logo (I made it myself)

Wow! Martha has ideas! Martha is planning to leave Ottawa on March 30th 2008. Martha is planning to ride across Canada on her 4 horses and is going to bring her dog Sadie with her. Every day Martha is going to rotate her horse. Once she makes it half way, Martha will bring in the new 4 horses. Martha is a very gifted person and she will do this ride if it's freezing out or steaming hot out. Martha is going to raise money for the Children’s Wish Foundation. You can help Martha by donating money. See how you can help at the links below.

Martha dog and horse (Martha e-mailed it to me)

Why is Martha doing a ride? Well Martha loves children and horses. Martha also loves Canada. If Martha did anything it would be with all three of her favourite things. When Martha sees someone sick she'll be right with you to help. That's why Martha wants to do anything she came to keep children happy, healthy and alive!

Giddy Up For Wishes - A Fundraising Project to Help the Children's Wish Foudnation
Childrens Wish Foundation - A charity
Bates Bar J Ranch - A childrens' riding camp