Marcus Heilbroner

by Emily from Pickerington

When You Reach Me
When You Reach Me

A hero is someone who you can look up to. They set a good example that you can follow. A good hero inspires you to try your hardest and do your best. Heroes have a positive influence on the world and all of the people around them. They can do big things, like save the day, or little things, such as making someone smile. The best kind of hero changes the way you think, and just might make you look at the world a little differently.

I think that it is extremely important to have a hero. Just think about it; what would the world be like without heroes? There would be more crime, more people making bad decisions, more people lonely and hurt, and most of all, people wouldn't be inspired. If you pick a good role model, you can try your best to be like them. This would have a positive influence on the people you know, and it would keep spreading. This is why it is vital to have an excellent role model.

In the novel When You Reach Me, I think that Marcus Heilbroner is the biggest hero. There are other heroes, such as Miranda, who makes Marcus's heroic deed possible, but Marcus makes the ultimate sacrifice: his life. Marcus says, "It doesn't matter when you leave. It's just whether or not you get there that matters," (Stead, 41). This shows that he understands the concept of time travel, foreshadowing the future events. "The Laughing Man's foot hit Sal's body. Sal flew backward and hit the ground, hard. The truck hit the Laughing Man," (Stead, 189). This quote from Miranda tells how the Laughing Man (Marcus when he is an adult) saved Miranda's friend, Sal's, life. "Please deliver your letter by hand, your note said. You know where to find me," (Stead, 189). That quote is the most important, because it ties it all together. Miranda wrote a letter telling Marcus what he must do, and she plans on giving it to him.

Marcus Heilbroner should be admitted into the Hero Hall of Fame for many reasons. First, he gave his life to save someone else's. This is even braver than usual, in his case, because he knows in advance that he is going to die, but he does it anyways. He goes crazy with this knowledge, so everyone is afraid of him, but he goes through with it anyways. Second, he inspires people who read the book to believe in themselves and to always put others first. Marcus is a very good role model.

Time Machine
Time Machine

1. Q: How does it feel knowing exactly when and where you are going to die?
A: It's scary, but I know that it will all be worth it in the end, when I save Sal's life.
2. Q: How do you feel about time traveling in the future to save the day?
A: I'm so excited that I'm going to be able to time travel! It sounds really cool to be in one time, then in another the next minute!
3. Q: Who is your personal role model?
A: All of the soldiers who have sacrificed their lives for others that they don't even know are my role models. I hope that when the time comes, I will be able to be as strong and brave as they were.
4. Q: What would you like people to know about when you punched Sal? Is that your real personality?
A: No, it's not my real personality. I'm very sorry I did that to him, and I hope I'll get to prove it someday when I save his life. I was just trying to figure out who I really am.
5. Q: What did you think when Miranda gave you the letter, instructing you to sacrifice yourself for someone else?
A: I was really afraid. At first, I didn't think I'd be able to do it. After I thought about it, though, I realized I didn't really have a choice. That's what fate wanted!
6. Q: What qualities do you think are important in a hero?
A: I think that a hero should be brave, kind, willing, and helpful. They should be willing to help others at all times, no matter what the cost.
7. Q: Why do you think it's important to have a good hero?
A: If you didn't have a good hero, you wouldn't have anybody to turn to when you didn't know which way to turn. A good hero would guide you in the right direction.
8. Q: How would you decide if someone is the right person to be a hero?
A: The right person to be a hero would be someone that you would like to be like someday. Ask yourself if the person you're considering to be your hero is an image of what you imagine yourself to be later in life. If not, they probably aren't the best person to be your hero.
9. Q: Is there anybody that you know that you would consider a hero to someone else?
A: I think that my friend Miranda is a hero to Sal because she followed my instructions even when she was scared. She wrote a letter to me about how I was going to save Sal.
10. Q: Do you consider yourself a hero?
A: No, not yet. One day, when I do throw myself in front of that truck to save Sal, I will. But until that day comes, no, I don’t.

How Stuff Works - This website tell about how time travel works, which is very important in this book.

Stead, Rebecca. When You Reach Me. 2009: Wendy Lamb Books

When You Reach Me, by Rebecca Stead