Martin Luther King Jr

by Juanita from Commerce City

To me a hero means a person with courage and someone who accomplishes their goals. I think a hero is somebody who changes the world for the better. I have picked Martin Luther King Jr.as my hero. He was a great individual that greatly changed American history. If Dr.King wouldn't have made his speeches, taught in churches, and preached, I don't think we would go to school with African Americans. Dr.King is looked upon as a role model by many americans.

Martin Luther King Jr. was born on Tuesday January 15, 1929 at his family home. He was born in Alanta, Georgia. He was the first son and second child to be born to Reverend Martin Luther King Sr. and Alberta Williams. Dr. King married Coretta Scott, daughter of Obadian and Bernice McMorry Scot. Dr. King married on June 18, 1953. The marriage ceremony took place on the lawn of the Scott's home in Marion , Alabama. Rev. King Sr.performed the service. Dr.King Jr. had four children.

Dr. King enterd Morehouse college at the age of fifteen. He skipped both ninth and twelfth grades. In junior high school, he took an examination for college in 1948. With a B.A degree in sociology. He enrolled in Crozer Theological Seminary. He also studied at the University of Pennsyluania, while attending Crozer. Martin Luther King Jr.was elected for President of the Senior class. Dr. King won the Pernal Plarkaer Award as the most outstanding student. He also studied at Harvard Uniuersity.

Martin Luther King Jr. got shot while standing on a balcony at Larraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee on April 4, 1968. He was in Memphis to help lead workers into protest againt low wages and intolerable working conditions. Two months later James Earl Ray was arrested in London, England on June 8,1968. In July 19,1969 James had to stand trial for the assassination of Dr. King. Before going to trail he entered a guilty plea. James Earl Ray was sentenced to ninety-nine years in Tennessee State Penitentiary. Kingseral services were held on April 9, 1968 at Ebenezer Baptist Church. Dr. King is entombed on Freedom Plaza.

Dr.King hero because he stood up for whats right.he wanted black/ African Americans to have the same freedom as everyone else. Dr.King made speeches all over the world. He wanted everyone to be treated equally and to have the same rights. If Dr.king hadn't have made his speech do you think you would be able to speak whats on your mind? Each of his words were listened to by many and still are to this day. Martin Luther King Jr. wanted his children "not to be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of the character." Not only is he talking about his own kids, but also accepting you, other kids,and me as his kids. This is why I picked Martin Luther King Jr. as my hero.

www.thekingcenter.com - talks about Dr. King