Poets

Mattie Stepanek

by Hunter from San Diego, California

mattie stephanek holding his book
mattie stephanek holding his book

"When I die, I want to be a child in heaven, I want to be a ten year old cherub. I want to be a hero in heaven, and a peacemaker, just like my goal on earth. I will ask God if I can help the people in purgatory. I will help them think, about their life, about their future. I will help them hear their Heartsong’s again, so they can finally see the face of God, so soon. When I die, I want to be, just like I want to be here on earth." The beautiful poem just recited was written by Mattie Stepanek, a strong hearted, caring, and loving-to-all person. Mattie displays the traits of a hero on a daily basis.

Mattie is the type of person that walks into a room and all eyes peacefully watch his every move. Mattie was the most sophisticated young adult, it was as if he lived life once before and is having a rerun. One of many traits Mattie shows is wisdom. He listens quietly and speaks respectfully his opinion in return. Mattie was not just street smart, he was wiser when it came to school. Mattie attended public school until age 9 and by the time he reached 11 he was in his third year of high school curriculum. Mattie was the kind of kid who could hear something and recite it back in perfect harmony. Mattie succeeded mostly in writing in school. He loved to write from poetry to essays to even prayers. Anybody could see he didn’t let his disease stop him from reaching the stars. Mattie’s wisdom did not stop him from having a good time though. His hobbies were endless; he enjoyed building Legos, reading, rock climbing, video games, and even going online just to look around. His wisdom expanded to him being a caring person just as his mother raised him. Mattie lived life for others than himself; he cared for all people no matter where you came from. An example of this would be when Mattie starred on the Oprah show and there was an old lady moping about how she doesn’t live life anymore because she knows she was dying soon. Mattie changed her life like he changed many, but in her case he told her his story and how he was in the sequence of dying and he lives life to the fullest. The way he put it changed her life for the better, he inspired her. You didn’t even have to know him for him to make an impact in your life. Mattie’s kindness stretched for miles and he never asked for anything in return. Mattie’s attitude towards life makes others become better people, he can change one's outlook on life with just one time of meeting them. A caring person gives you constructive criticism but at the same time is understanding and inspiring and that exactly is what Mattie is.

Mattie was an inspiration, an American poet who had six books of poetry and one book of essays all reach the New York Times best sellers list before he reached the age of 12. Mattie became a peace advocate and motivational speaker for kids with disabilities like him. Stepanek suffered from a rare form of muscular dystrophy, dysatemonic mitochondrial myopathy, that resulted in his death before his fourteenth birthday. Mattie was never the kind of kid that was self centered he loved talking to anybody that would listen. He loved life and his inspiration came from what he had to watch with his two eyes when he was younger. Mattie witnessed his sister and two brothers die from the disease he currently had and know his mother was dying from it too but instead of just lying there and not doing anything about it he wrote poetry to inspire others. Mattie’s poetry came from life experiences and also things he strived for in the near future. He got straight to the point with everything did. One of his poetry books is titled “Journey Through Heartsongs” and that book was filled with beautiful stories of his feelings. This book is a perfect inspirational read. It teaches anyone who reads it how not to take life for granted. Mattie’s purpose of his poetry was not for his enjoyment only but it was for others to share his message when he was gone.

A hero is different in everyone’s eyes; a hero could be tall or short, skinny or strong, goofy or serious but different for everyone. Mattie Stepanek is a light skinned, red blooded, blue eyed, blonde haired hero. He shows us humans how fragile life is and how special each person is on earth. Mattie’s poems, attitude, kindness, and inspiration is what everyone should have to be described as a hero.

Mattie's main website - explains Mattie's life with pictures