Library

Matt O'Grady Walsh

by Noah from Pickerington

(http://the12planet.blogspot.com/2011/01/superman.html)

Definition of a hero: A hero is someone who stands up for what's right no matter the need. Even if the need is small a hero will never turn down a cry for help. They don't back down from a challenge no matter the consequences. That is my definition of a hero.

Is it important to have a hero: Yes, a hero is what makes a story a good one. If the story has no hero then there can't be a main conflict or interesting parts in the book. Without a hero there would be no one to stop the bad guy in a movie, or book.

Which character in the novel portrays a hero: I believe Matt shows characteristics of a good leader and hero because he always tries to protect his sisters "Protect the little ones" even though his instincts tell him to leave "The human instinct for self preservation is strong. pg. 73". Matt also tries to make the best of a bad situation "always remember: in the end, the survivor gets to tell the story."

Hero Hall of Fame: Matt should be inducted into the Hero Hall of Fame for many reasons. One reason is he always tries to protect his two sisters from their mom, who constantly hurts them. He also has to deal daily with pain from his mom's drug use and occasional beatings. A third reason is he is constantly trying to find a better life for him and his siblings. If it's trying to live with their Dad, Aunt Bobboe, or Murdoch.

Hero interview: Q1. Who is your personal hero? "Murdoch" Q2. Have you ever thought about running away? "Yes but i couldn't leave Emmy and Callie alone with Nikki" Q3. Do you think you are a hero? "No I'm just trying to help my sisters" Q4. What do you think a hero is? "Someone who puts others before himself" Q5. Why didn't you try and ask a teacher or adult for help? "because Nikki would have tricked them into thinking everything is good" Q6. What is your favorite sport? "baseball" Q7. What is your favorite color? "green" Q8. Do you worry about your Mother? "yes she has a lot of problems that she needs help with" Q9. Why did you decide to write these letters to Emmy? "because she needed to know the truth about our mom" Q10. Do you think You will ever try to contact Nikki later in life? "Yes because she is still my mother"