Mia Hamm

by Marhiel from Milpitas

Mia goes in for a winning kick!
Mia goes in for a winning kick!

Mia Hamm was born or March 17, 1972 in Selma, Alabama. Her full name is Mariel Margaret Garciaparra. She is a retired soccer player. She played in the forward position for many years in the United States women's national soccer team. Mia scored more goals, 158, in this sport than anyone else.

When Mia was born, she had a club foot so she had to wear corrective shoes as a small toddler to help her walk. This is very impressive because she was a very professional soccer player, and it seems like she never even had the club foot. She spent her childhood with her parents and five siblings on air force bases. She also grew up in San Antonio, Texas, and Italy. Mia joined the U.S. women's national team at 15 years old, making her the youngest player. Mia married Christian Corry on December 17, 2994, but divorced in 2001. She is now married to Nomar Garciaparra and has twin daughters whose names are Ava and Grace born on March 28.

In 1991, Mia became the youngest American woman to win a World Cup championship when her team won the FIFA Women's World Cup at age 19. On May 22, 1999, she broke the international goal record with her 109th goal when playing a game against Brazil in Florida. In 1997, the Women's Sports Foundation named Mia Hamm Sportswomen of the Year. On July 21, 2004, Mia's team played a game against Australia. She scored her 151st international goal.

Mia and Nomar
Mia and Nomar

I picked Mia Hamm because she's a big inspiration to me. She encourages me to do my best at what I'm good at, and to never give up. What really impressed me were her world records and accomplishments, like winning two Olympic medals. It's also impressive to me that she's great at soccer, even if she had a club foot as a toddler. She is a great role model and I know other people look up to her as their hero, just as I see her as my hero.