Mia Hamm

by Kierney from Billings

Mia Hamm in a game against Norway (www.netreach.net/~lmsc/espeseth.jpg)

Mariel Margaret Garciaparra, better known as Mia Hamm, is my hero. She is a strong, athletic woman that made it onto the national soccer team when she was 15 and has been a symbol for women’s soccer ever since. She is also a positive role model for all young girls that have a dream of making the U.S. soccer team. She is courageous for stepping into such a large commitment at such a young age when many of us do not even have simple chores at home to do.

Hamm was born on March 17, 1972 in Selma, Alabama. She is now 37 years old and as she and her five other siblings grew up they moved all over the country. She ended up playing for Notre Dame Catholic High School, Lake Braddock Secondary School, and the University of North Carolina. She helped the Lake Braddock soccer team win the state championship of 1989. In college she helped the Tar Heels snatch up four women's championships in five years. They probably would have had all five if Mia hadn’t taken a year off to focus on the World Cup of 1991. She was a very important part of all the teams.

Hamm vs. Nash  (assets.nydailynews.com/.../29/amd_mia-hamm.jpg)
Hamm vs. Nash (assets.nydailynews.com/.../29/amd_mia-hamm.jpg)

Hamm was the youngest girl to play for the U.S. national team. She is also the leading international goal scorer of any soccer player ever recorded. She scored 158 goals during her national team career, almost 50 more than the previous record holder. The largest building on Nike’s campus was named after her. She was also the sportswoman of the year in 1997. Hamm has had many accomplishments and has made a difference in many young girls’ lives.

Mia has inspired me to be a better player, not necessarily a world renowned player but just a player that works hard to improve her skills. She’s taught me to never give up and to dream big. When she was born she had a club foot which affected her walking but she earned her place on a national team winning many worldwide championships with her help.

Hamm scoring and goalie diving for the ball (www.7butterflies.com/.../mia_hamm_image2.jpg)

Mia Hamm is my hero because she is an outstanding role model. She was a normal person but she used what she had to climb to the top.

Wikipedia - is a link with more information on Mia Hamm.
Mayo Clinic - ia a link with more information on clubfoot.
Soccer Stats - is a link with more information on soccer stats.