Queen Mary of Romania

by Alice from Dej, Romania

Queen Mary of Romania (http://www.tkinter.smig.net/QueenMarie/Gallery/Marie120.htm)

Almost everyone wants to be a hero, but not everyone is able to be. This does not depend on the social class, it depends on the qualities you must have. A hero must be honest, generous, decided, authoritarian, patriotic, self-confident and must know how to take the control with the appropriate attitude.

In my opinion, the second Queen of Romania, Queen Mary, had all these qualities and many others. That is one of the reasons why I consider her my heroine. Her Majesty Maria (1875-1938) was a princess of Great Britain, but she became King Ferdinand’s wife, also known as the second Queen of Romania, Mary.

As I mentioned before, she had a lot of heroine qualities. For example, she was called by the people "the wounded mother" for her brave attitude during World War I, when she worked in hospitals with the wounded soldiers and she coordinated a charitable foundation. Queen Mary travelled to Paris during the Peace Conference, where with her beauty and with an extraordinary intelligence she supported the Romanian people, showing patriotism and even if she had been born in Great Britain, she reminded them the huge sacrifice of the Romanian Army.

The services brought by Queen Mary for Romania were crucial, but hard to understand. When the Romanian Prime Minister Bratianu, began to lose ground, the King asked the Queen to interfere… so she went in an unofficial mission to Paris and London. So, through her diplomatic qualities she contributed to the union of Romania, who embodied the historical provinces of Transylvania, Bukovina, Moldavia, Bessarabia and Wallachia.

Another side of the Queen Mary was the artistic one. She loved art, poetry and philosophy. She continued the tradition of Queen Elizabeth, the First Queen of Romania, to support arts, helped a lot the literature and arts of the world with scholarships. She also wrote stories for children, poetry, painted her favorite flowers (lilies and poppies) and collected a lot of art works of some great painters.

In conclusion, I consider Queen Mary my heroine, due to her courage, kindness, noble nature and also considering her intelligence, which helped her to get anything she wanted.