Poets

Matthew Joseph Thaddeus Stepanek

by Francesca from Altoona

www.oprah.com/.../20021029/tows_slide_20021029_06.jhml

Do you have a hero? The definition I give of a hero is someone who never gives up, is courageous, and always helps others. Mattie Stepanek fits all of these definitions. That is why he is “My Hero”.

Mattie’s full name is Matthew Joseph Thaddeus Stepanek. By the age of five year old, Mattie had already written several hundred poems. Mattie started writing poems when he was 3 years old. Mattie is home schooled at a high school curriculum. Mattie has won many awards including the Melinda A and the Lawrence International Award for “most inspirational work.”

www.ican.com/.../cx/self_discovery.role_models/

Mattie and his mother, Jeni, both suffer from a disease called dysautonomic mitochondrial myopathy. Mattie always has to have oxygen because his body can not do everything by itself like breathing, heart rate, body temperature, oxygenation,digestion, and things like that don't always work well on their own.

Mattie puts a smile on everyone’s faces. Mattie says, “I loves to read, write, and to speak at conferences and seminars.” When Mattie grows up he says, “I want to be a peacemaker.” Mattie’s biggest role model is Jimmy Carter. Mattie calls him the perfect hero.

mystsisters.com/images/MVC-008heart.jpg
mystsisters.com/images/MVC-008heart.jpg

Mattie is a joy to everyone who gets to know him. He has a wonderful heart and soul. Mattie has a best selling book called The Heart Song. Mattie has a series of books.

Listen to the song inspired by Mattie and his poems!

Special thanks to David Alexander and the choir at St. Paul's Episcopal Day School, Kansas City for this touching song. Click below to download: