Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

by Fiona Kwan from Singapore

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart is my hero. He was born in Salzburg, Austria, in 1756. Even though Mozart's music was very popular during his time, he often had to struggle just to make a living. The type of music that Mozart played and composed is known as classical music. It is usually written for an occasion like an emperor's court dance or a princess's wedding, a special church occasion or an opera. No matter how talented Mozart was, he was paid very little money.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart had a sister named Nannerl, who was four years older, traveled all over with their parents, playing music. Wolfgang's father, named Leopold Mozart, who was a composer and violinist in the court of prince-archbishop of Salzburg. When he was three years old, he already understand music. When he was four, he learned to play the violin perfectly! As Mr Mozart was really surprised that Wolfgang was trying to play the same piece that Nannerl had been practicing and that was the most difficult piece. And when he was six years old, he wrote a concerto. Wolfgang and Nannerl were different from other children as they were so talented in music. In 1762, when Wolfgang was six, Mr Mozart decided to travel and show his talented children to the world.

Wolfgang was keen to learn. He studied the music of the great composer George Frederic Handel and learned about mixing different tunes into the same piece of music. The worst thing happened to Mrs Mozart in Paris. She became ill and after a short time, she died. Wolfgang was deeply saddened, and returned home to Salzburg but he was kicked out of the palace. In 1779, Wolfgang left Salzburg and went to Vienna.

When he went to Vienna, he fell in love and married a singer named Constanze Weber. But as time passes, Wolfgang got into money problem as he was a spendthrift. He often wrote day and night to put on concerts and write music. Even with Constanze's encouragement, Wolfgang's health started getting from bad to worse. Soon he died, after he finished The Magic Flute. He used up all his energy he had to compose a piece named Requiem but he died before he could finish it and he was only 35.

He wrote more than 800 pieces of music. As he was so famous that everyone knew him. Almost all of Mozart's music seems to have a mysterious power and beauty to it. He is so talented and always fill my heart with feelings. Mozart was hardworking and keen to learn as he tried his best to write all his pieces. Mozart has inspired me as he teaches me that music is so wonderful. What a pity that he has already left this earth.