Library

Napoleon Dynamite

by Alec from Folsom

Throughout my life, I've had an idea of what a hero is, but that's all it ever was, just an idea. It wasn't until I started working on this speech that I put real time into thinking about what it really meant to be a hero. My former idea was that a hero was someone that was selfless. Someone that would jump in front of a bus to save someone else from being hit. Someone that would rush into a burning building not sure if they themselves would come out unscathed. I thought a hero was just like the comic books, the ones that save the day and the person that everyone adores. That was just an idea. After I thought about it for several days I watched a movie, and it was then that I realized that a hero doesn't have to be strong, fast, or incredibly smart. A hero is someone who, in the face of adversity, rises to the challenge and doesn't back down. Now this challenge may be physical, mental, emotional, it can be any kind of challenge. In the case of the person I chose as my true hero, the challenge was a challenge of persecution . This person is my true hero for the actions he does. Through his challenge he prevails , doesn't back down or give up because the battle was too difficult. Amazingly though, throughout the whole ordeal he manages not to change who he is to fit in, making him my true hero. Watching this movie I realized I had a lot in common with this character. Now before I show you his picture I want you to totally disregard how you may feel about the movie, and focus on his actions. My true hero is, is Napoleon Dynamite.

Now if you've seen this movie you know that Napoleon is socially inept. He can't talk to girls very well, gets bullied continually, is verbally abused at home, and is belittled when he is in his classes. Most people would want to do whatever they could to escape the harrassment but Napoleon was strong. I wish I could be more like him. I'm different, and I know it. There have been plenty of people that have tried to fundamentally alter who I am, but I didn't listen and I won't ever change because of what people say or do to me. Napoleon is really someone that I can look up to, because he reminds me of myself, and his story tells me to always be me.

Now you may disagree, but I think Napoleon Dynamite is worthy of the title of hero. He shows that anyone can prove the people around him wrong, that he can triumph over those that think they're better than him. He an inspiration to me, and I'm sure to people everywhere. He shows me that I don't need to impress the people around me to make friends or to fit in.  "...be yourself- not your idea of what you think somebody else's idea of yourself should be." This is how I intend to live the rest of my life because this speech has taught me that maybe I am the way that I am because I'm not meant to fit in, I'm meant to stand out.