Nick Vujicic

by Joanna from San Diego

"If I fail, I try again, and again, and again. If YOU fail, are you going to try again? The human spirit can handle much worse than we realize. It matters HOW you are going to FINISH. Are you going to finish strong?" -Nick Vujicic
 (http://mary-aslifegoesby.blogspot.com/2011/05/nick ())

On December 4th, 1982, Dushka and Boris Vujicic waited anxiously in the hospital room, desperately wanting to see their baby boy. The nurses would not let the two of them see the baby and as seconds ticked by, Dushka grew increasingly apprehensive. At the first sight of him, they went weak with shock and anguish, stunned and unable to speak. A limbless baby was not what they had been expecting. Dushka Vujicic, a nurse herself, had taken special precautions during her pregnancy. She meticulously watched her diet, was cautious about medications, even went to the best doctors, and was assured that everything was proceeding smoothly. How could this be if the two ultrasounds both reported good news and nothing about a limbless baby?  Dushka and Boris Vujicic were overwhelmed with tears and countless questions ran through their minds. How would Nick live a happy life? What will he do or accomplish in his life having been cast into the world with such an oppressive disability? Little did they know that in a couple of years their son, Nick Vujicic, would be touching the hearts of millions around the globe.  Although he was born with a rare condition called tetra-amelia, Vujicic has conquered his physical and emotional handicaps and is living a rewarding, fulfilling life.  As he grew older, he not only managed to accomplish tasks such as writing and swimming, but also received bachelor's degrees in accounting and financial planning.  At the age of nineteen, Vujicic realized that he possessed the ability to enliven the lives of others with his awe-inspiring story and positivity. Upon realization, he began to travel around the world as a motivational speaker and Christian evangelist. His journeys quickly blossomed into founding his own non-profit organization: 'Life Without Limbs', encouraging people with disabilities to follow their aspirations. Today Vujicic continues to be a beacon of hope as he urges others to live their lives to its fullest potential. Nick Vujicic, having overcome his disability, utilizes his perseverance, optimism, and compassion to inspire people from all across the world to follow in his footsteps.

(http://www.booktopia.com.au/unstoppable-nick-vujic ())

Despite his lack of limbs, Vujicic possesses the unyielding perseverance to overcome adversity. Vujicic's disability left him handicapped and helpless, however with immense doggedness and determination "he adapted to his situation and found ways to accomplish tasks most people could only do by using their limbs, such as cleaning teeth, brushing hair, typing on a computer, swimming, playing sports, and much more"("About Nick Vujicic"). Vujicic maintained enough dedication to accomplish what many would think is impossible. His tenacity has aided him in overcoming even the most burdensome tasks. Because he never gave up and "adapted to his situation", he exhibits that anything is possible-- if one has the drive to achieve his or her goals. Not only did Vujicic's limbless body offer physical challenges, but emotional ones as well: " 'I was deeply depressed when I was eight years old,' [Vujicic] said. 'I went to my mum crying and told her I wanted to kill myself.' But with the help of his religion, friends and family, Nick managed to pull through to become an international symbol of triumph" ("Life Without Limb-its: The Astonishing Story of the Man Born Without Arms or Legs"). Although Vujicic had to deal with both physical and emotional obstacles, he was steadfast and overcame his suffering. He did not allow his rough childhood and poor self-esteem hold him back from life's opportunities. As a result of his perseverance, he even gained the lofty title of the "international symbol of triumph". Vujicic validates the fact that if people do not lose hope in themselves, they can prevail and undertake any obstacle. With a goal of a limitless future in mind, Vujicic took advantage of his strong-will to surpass even the most challenging hardships.

(www.lifewithoutlimbs.org ())
(www.lifewithoutlimbs.org ())

Vujicic is the embodiment of optimism, carrying positive thoughts in the midst of tribulation. Instead of being immersed in self-pity, Vujicic decided to be optimistic and look on the bright side: "'I found happiness when I realized that as imperfect I may be, I am the perfect Nick Vujicic. I'm officially disabled, but I'm truly enabled because of my lack of limbs. My unique challenges have opened up unique opportunities to reach so many in need'" (Vujicic, Nick). Vujicic views his disability in a positive light. Due to the fact that he states he is "officially disabled", but "truly enabled", he reveals how he believes he has been given the chance to do things he would not have been able to do without his disability.  As a result of finding the positive in the negative, Vujicic no longer sees his disability as a hindrance, but rather as an advantage.  Many individuals who meet Vujicic are often surprised by how cheerful and content he is: "People ask Nick, 'How can you smile?' Then they realize there's got to be something more to life than meets the eye if a guy without arms and legs is living a fuller life" ("About Nick Vujicic"). When people first meet Vujicic, they assume that he has lived an onerous life because they don't understand how he is happy even with his disability. He magnifies the idea of optimism, justifying that attitude is what makes a significant difference in how fulfilling someone's life is. Vujicic's positivity and uplifting smile leaves a lasting imprint on others; they are magnets that others are drawn to and want to follow.

(http://powerpointparadise.com/blog/wp-content/uplo ())

Vujicic personifies the way in which people should treat others: with compassion and love. When he spoke to hundreds of teenagers at Grand Island High School he declared: " 'You have no idea how many people look at themselves in the mirror and hate themselves. I love you the way you are. Why? Because that's the love that has set me free from fear'"(O'Brien). Based on his past experiences of poor self-confidence, Vujicic can relate to many teenage audiences. He skillfully utilizes his familiarity of teenage issues to alleviate the suffering and misfortune of the students. His compassion is clearly evident when he stated "I love you the way you are." Vujicic wants teenagers to know that they should have confidence in themselves and eliminate self-criticism so that they do not go through the same pain that he did as a child. Describing his experiences of transforming the lives of the people he meets, Vujicic once proudly stated: "'I've hugged thousands of people in face-to-face encounters that allow me to tell them how very precious they are. It's also my pleasure to assure them that He does have a plan for their lives. God took my unusual body and invested me with the ability to uplift hearts and encourage spirits'" (Vujicic, Nick). Vujicic's compassion is apparent when he "uplift[s] hearts", "encourage[s] spirits", and tells people "how very precious they are." Vujicic genuinely cares about the people he meets. He wants every single one of them to know that they are loved, and that they all have a purpose in their lives. With deep sympathy and love for others, Vujicic utilizes his reassuring words and comforting actions to change peoples' lives for the better.

A true hero is not someone who seeks fame and fortune; a true hero is someone who seeks to make a difference in the lives of others. Vujicic is a prime example of a deserving and worthy hero. "Wherever he goes, motivational speaker Nick Vujicic leaves an impression that will surely last a life time. The Gulf University for Science and Technology (GUST) hosted Vujicic at their university's auditorium yesterday where he undeniably captured the hearts of many in the crowd. Several wiped away tears as they listened to his every word" (Garcia, Ben). I, like the millions of people listening to Vujicic's speeches, am awestruck. I have never heard of anyone like Vujicic before--someone with such an indomitable spirit, enlivening attitude, and immeasurable love for others. He has overcome even the most seemingly insurmountable obstacles and shown people that anything is possible. The fact that he has kept a smile on his face through it all makes him even more inspiring. When I heard his story for the first time, many questions lingered in my mind, the same way his parents were when they first learned that he had no arms and no legs. But now I know the answers to his parents' questions. He is able to live a happy life because he chooses optimism over pessimism, and finds the positive amidst the negative. He is able to accomplish numerous tasks with his steady persistence in spite of difficulties. Dr. Cara Barker, a psychologist and leadership coach, says it best: "Nick Vujicic demonstrates that it's possible to awaken the heart, giving inspiration to others through a situation that nearly everyone on this Earth would find debilitating. A hero, Vujicic finds opportunity where most would find a dead end"(Vujicic, Nick).

"About Nick Vujicic." Life Without Limbs. Life Without Limbs Inc., n.d. Web. 11 Dec. 2012.

Garcia, Ben. "Success without hands or legs." Kuwait Times 15 Feb. 2010: Newspaper Source.

Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

"Life Without Limb-its: The Astonishing Story of the Man Born Without Arms Or Legs... Who

Plays Golf, Surfs, and Swims." Www.dailymail.co.uk. Daily Mail, 1 July 2009. Web. 11

Dec. 2012.

man-born-arms-legs--world-famous-swimmer-surfer-footballer.html>.

O'Brien, Barbara. "Limbless speaker teaches compassion." Buffalo News, The (NY) 13 Feb.

2009: Newspaper Source. Web. 10 Dec. 2012.

Vujicic, Nick. Life without Limits: Inspiration for a Ridiculously Good Life. New York:

Doubleday, 2010. Print.

Life Without Limbs - Nick Vujicic's main website for his organization.
I Love Living Life. I am Happy. - A video showcasing Vujicic's inspiring character.
"Something More" Music Video - Vujicic's heart-touching song about finding hope and meaning in life.
Nick Vujicic - Nick Vujicic's official website.