Yukulam Oloka Obbo

by Amos from Kampala

YUKULAM OLOKA OBBO, is a tree farmer in the western part of the TORORO district in eastern Uganda. He became a hero because of his influence in the community through tree-planting, brickmaking, and because he educated his family although he, himself, never received any.

He is a father of twenty children, a subsistence farmer on a eucalyptus tree plantation, and also does brickmaking as an income-generating source for the family. From these, he earns some money to meet the family needs and provided an education to my older siblings, though some of us are still dependent on him for the future.

On a community level, he encourages everyone to plant these trees; he does this by explaining the benefits of trees in life and also gives about 100 seedlings to whomever shows interest. This not only serves as an income-generating asset to the entire community, but also has changed weather conditions and covered the once bare, open space. To every energetic youth, brickmaking has become another source of income for both education and other personal needs.

Normally people quote a few national political persons which modern information technology has popularized, and forget the unexposed people who positively influence the social and economic setup of the communities we live in. What about the grassroot HEROES?