Olivia Newton-John

by Royann from Romeoville, Illinois

<a href=http://www.olivia-newtonjohn.com/community/templates/subSilver/images/olivia-newton-john.jpg>Olivia Newton-John</a>
Olivia Newton-John

What is a hero? A hero is someone that would rescue you from a burning building or save your cat from a tree! We all have one, even if we don�t show it. My hero is Olivia Newton John!

You might know Olivia Newton John from the movie Grease or a lot of other movies, but she does much more than make movies and record songs. Olivia Newton John struggled with breast cancer, ever since then she has been doing charities. She does concerts and walks and group outings! She is also the spokesperson for many cancer centers. Speaking of cancer centers Olivia Newton John has one in her hometown of Melbourne, Australia. It is called the ONJCC (Olivia Newton John Cancer Center). Olivia overcame her breast cancer, and that shows she can overcome hard things!

<a href=http://www.olivia-newton-john.com/onjohn.jpg>This is Olivia Newton-John performing.</a>
This is Olivia Newton-John performing.

Olivia Newton John hasn't always been a successful music and movie star. Olivia was born in Cambridge, England. She moved to Australia when she was five years old. Olivia always had a love for singing, and when she was older she made that dream come true. When she was in her teen years she started singing in a band. She was in a world wide talent show on national television and won in front of all of those people. That is how Olivia Newton John became famous. I didn't stop there; at age 21 she went back to her hometown of Cambridge, England to pursue her singing career. That shows that Olivia has integrity to reach for her goals and dreams in life.

<a href=http://images.allmoviephoto.com/1978_Grease/1978_grease_010.jpg>This is Olivia's character in Grease!</a>
This is Olivia's character in Grease!

Olivia was in her first movie, it was called Tomorrow. This was a sci-fi movie kind of like Star Wars. This movie was the worst in the box office. People today have never heard of the movie. The special effects were phony, and the movie was very cheaply made. Needless to say, it was a really boring movie!

Olivia was offered another movie. She was scared to do another one because of how Toomorrow turned out. She was afraid it would be like Toomorrow or even worse! Olivia was brave and decided to give acting another shot. The movie was Grease. She was one of the main characters, Sandy Olsson. Grease was the opposite of Toomorrow. Grease was the box office king! It has the best selling movie soundtrack in history. Grease was nominated for six Oscars and won two. She and John Travolta (her co-star) had a great chemistry, and came to be very good friends.

<a href=http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/08/22/newtonjohn_wideweb__430x325.jpg>Patrick Mcdermott, Olivia and Daughter Chloe
Patrick Mcdermott, Olivia and Daughter Chloe

Another scary thing that happened to Olivia Newton John was when her new boyfriend went missing! His name was Patrick Kim McDermott. For awhile a lot of people thought that he was killed. He was last seen on a fishing trip with a couple of his friends. A lot of people claimed seeing him on the Mexican Baja Peninsula. In the end, they found out Patrick Kim McDermott faked his own death to get out of bankruptcy.

So now you know about Olivia Newton John, and why she’s my hero. She is courageous, brave, and she never gives up. She also overcomes hard things in her life, and she does good deeds. Not just in her neighborhood but all over the world! She does Heroic deeds. Olivia isn’t just a famous singer or actress, but a hero. She went through so much. She is very inspiring and is a great role model for women and girls everywhere.

Olivia Newton John�s life
1969- Olivia is approached by Don Kirshener of the Monkees to take part in the movie tomorrow.
1970- the Toomorrow movie is ill-received � opens and closes very quickly in August.
1974- Olivia has her own TV series of poetry and music on BBC TV.
1975-Olivia wins female vocalist of the year by the country music association.
1977- filmmaker Alan Carr approaches Olivia to see if she is interested of taking the female lead for a new film based on the 50�s Broadway musical Grease. Olivia is not the first name suggested- Marie Osmond had also been approached. Olivia has some reservations, and requests a screen test with mail lead, John Travolta, fresh from his success with Saturday night fever.
1978-You�re the One I Want tops US charts in June selling over 2 million copies to win a platinum disk. The movie Grease opens in the US, and in July the soundtrack tops the album charts, remaining there for 12 weeks! Summer Nights tops the UL charts and reaches US#5 in September, Olivia�s solo hopelessly devoted to you makes US#3. It reaches UK#2 in December. 1981- Olivia gets a star on the Hollywood's Walk of Fame (it is just outside Mann�s Chinese theater on Hollywood Boulevard) On August 5th.

My Australian hero

The smell of popcorn in the air
The chitting and chatting
Of the movie
Theater
The lights dim and the movie
Begins, I feel the streets
Of Australia
Beneath my
Feet
I see the ocean and hear the waves
Crashing onto the shore
I taste steak and
Australian
Food
I see blonde hair beautiful
Clothes I hear a
British accent
Talking and an English accent
Singing I see, hear,
Feel, and taste
Australia
When I think of Olivia
Newton