Sgt 1st Class Paul R. Smith

by Will from Roxboro

People think of a hero like superman or spiderman. A real hero is someone who risks their on life knowing they might die or leave something important behind. Sgt 1st class Paul Smith is a real hero.

On April 4th 2003 Paul Smith got on a 50 caliber machine gun to protect his squad from an enemy that outnumbered them. The enemy was going to try to overrun their line with all the force they had. Paul threw grenades and shot rockets at the strong enemy. Paul shot the heavy machine gun to protect his squad. Paul was shot and severely wounded. Paul later died of his wounds. Paul managed to save his whole squad and was awarded the medal of honor.

Paul left behind a wife a son and a daughter. He was brought home and buried a war hero. His daughter Jessica was 18 and his son David was 10. His wife was sad about his death but proud of the medal and his service. Paul had been in service since 1989. Paul was the first soldier to be rewarded the medal of honor in the war on terrorism.

Paul Smith is my hero because he gave his own life to save others. Also to help others. He also relates to my grandfather because he was blown up in 1944 helping some wounded soldiers. He made his country and family proud.

Paul Smith is a war hero. He is a very brave man to sacrifice his own life to save others. Paul Smith left so much behind.