Rosa Parks

by Justin from Nova Scotia

Background: Rosa Parks, born Rosa Louise McCauley (February 4, 1913 - ) Arrested for Not Giving up Her Bus Seat to a White Man.
On December 1, 1955, a Montgomery, Alabama, bus driver ordered Mrs. Parks to give up her seat to a white man.

Brave: Rosa Parks is brave because she stood up against all of the men and women who were white. In the time that Rosa was living, blacks had to sit in the sit in the back of the bus and enter in the back door of the bus. On the other hand, the whites could sit wherever they wanted and could enter through the front. One day Rosa got fed up with the way the blacks were being treated so she sat in the middle of the bus where only whites can sit and she got arrested.

Role Model: Rosa is a role model because she did what no other person who was black would do: she defied the rules that were made by the whites. It takes a lot of courage to be the one who stands up against all the men and women that hate your kind. Rosa Parks was told to move out of her seat but did not and for this she was arrested. By doing so she started the fight against the whites so all the blacks would be free against racism.

Independent: Rosa is independent because she stood alone in her act agains discrimination against the blacks. It is very hard to stand alone against a cause so great and not to have anyone to help back you up. Rosa Parks was lucky not to have been killed for her actions because most people would be killed.