Rosa Parks

by Nicole from Pinehurst

My hero's name is widely known. She is known as a champion for "Civil Rights". It wasn't easy for Rosa Parks to disobey a law that had been in place for a long time. However, her bravery brought about positive changes for the country.

To begin with, after working hard all day, Rosa stepped on the bus and sat down in the front. A white passenger asked her to get up and move to the back of the bus. Rosa said,"No!" They arrested her for disobeying the law. Later, she encouraged all the Blacks to boycott the buses. As a result of the boycott, Blacks could sit any place on buses.

Rosa Parks has received several medals in recognition of her courage.In 1979, she was awarded the Spingarn Award and in 1980 at the 25th anniversary celebration of the boycott, Rosa Parks was awarded the Martin Luther King,Jr. Non-violent Peace Prize. She has also received the Presidential Medal of Freedon and a street in Montgomery, Alabama has been renamed, Rosa Parks Boulevard.

Rosa Parks took a stand for what she thought was unfair treatment. Let's remember what she did and give her three cheers.GO ROSA PARKS!