Gary Paulsen

by Zoe

Gary Paulsen is a major hero! He is a respectable hero because he is an excellent author! He has also, supported an orphanage, sponsored dogsledders, and rescued dogs from the pound. His books are great contributions to bookworms!

Gary Paulsen has had a harsh, sour childhood. His father, worked with the army for many years when Gary was young. Many days his mother longed for her husband. In order to live with his father, his mom took him to live in the Philippines for three years. There, young Gary took in a stray dog who he named Snowball. Snowball cared for Gary just like a guardian, but sadly, a car hit her. When the Paulsen family moved back to the U.S.A., they lived in Washington D.C. After that, they moved all over the country, and finally settled in Michigan. His parents became the town drunks and were always fighting. Gary ran away and lived by himself. Now, he has a wife Ruth, who is an artist, and one son, Jim. Even though he had a tough childhood, he now has a great family!

Paulsen has faced many obstacles throughout his life. One challenge was to try to get used to living in many different communities because of his father’s army job. Another example was keeping away from his drunken parents who were horrible people! Lastly, finishing the Iditarod was very tough! The Iditarod is a race for dogsledders in Alaska. Even though some times were difficult, Gary Paulsen got past them!

Gary Paulsen made many great contributions to society. One is that he has written over 200 books, and has taught kids’ education. Paulsen has also given knowledge to readers that read his stories. His bravery makes kids tougher when they know that he once risked his life dog racing! These things make Gary Paulsen a better person!

This excellent person has some great character traits. Gary Paulsen is adventurous, because he is a musher. He is determined, because he will do almost anything to win the Iditarod and has never given up. Also, he is extremely intelligent! He is smart because he has the knowledge to write many different interesting books. Gary Paulsen’s characteristics help to make him a fine author!

Gary Paulsen loves nature and shows it by writing stories about it. His stories pull readers in and are always suspenseful! They are also full of juicy information! Gary is a true hero!