Michael Phelps

by Jenna T. from Sycamore Jr. High

Some people say that a hero is someone that is big, strong, and did something great. I say anyone can be a hero. The hero I picked isnt a hero that didnt work to get to where he is today. My hero takes 5 hours a day out of his life to train to become better. My hero works hard and loves what he does. My hero is Michael Phelps.

getting in the mood berfore his event
getting in the mood berfore his event

Michael has been swimming since the age of four and has kept his same coach since then. His older sister Whitney was also a swimmer and she was one step away from making it to the Olympics. When she didn't make it Michael wanted to make it to the Olympics even more then he did before. Michael trained hard and finally made it to where he wanted to be. At the age of fifteen he reached his goal. He made it to the Olympics. Phelps was the youngest male ever to go to the Olympics. When Michael got into the High School he had to make a tough decision. He either could finish his High School career or he could turn professional. It was tough for him because he would miss out on everything that happens in the High School, but he decided to turn professional. Since he is professional when he goes to college he can't swim for his college team.

Michael Phelps
Michael Phelps

This year when Michael goes to University of Michigan he will live there and train 5 hours a day with his coach who is now Michigans Big Ten coach. Michael Makes a difference to alot of people in the world because he inspires swimmers like himself to not give up at the tough practices and that you'll only get better as time goes on. Swimming isn't as easy as it looks. Alot of training goes into getting where you want to be.

Michael listens to music as he gets ready to swim

Michael is a Hero Within. This is because like some of the people in the book he never gives up on his dream. Just like Wilma never gave up on being able to walk without a brace agian. Look at her books now, she not only was able to walk without a brace she went to the Olympics for track and feild. Michael never gave up on his dream of being a Olympic gold medalist. He trains everyday and he is exceding his goals.

Michael Phelps celerbrating another gold medal!

What is a hero? Alot of people say that there hero is a celebrity or someone that is on television, but they are not necessarly true. You don't have to be big, strong, or do something special. You can over come your fears, say something nice to someone, or go help someone without thinking what might happen to you. Anyone can be a hero!

Michaelphelps.com - Pictures
usaswimming.org - Pictures of celebrating gold medal win