Richard Branson

by Jeremy from Toronto

He is recognized as the man with the "golden touch" and "billion dollar smile". He is best known for the 'Virgin' brand which is on over 360 companies around the world. Sir Richard Branson was born on July 8, 1950. As a child he grew up in Blackheath, London, England. From a young age he was very athletic, and in fact when he was three years old he received a pair of hockey skates and learned to skate.

Richard Branson is a well-known entrepreneur who dropped out of school at the age of 16 and became a millionaire at the age of 24. Internationally he is known as a 'rock star', but his many talents were recognized at a very young age when he had his first newspaper interview at just seven years old. Branson struggled in school because of dyslexia, but his entrepreneurial ventures began at age of 15, when he started a nationwide magazine called the 'Student'. In 1966, in his first issue of the magazine, he sold $8,000 in advertising.

His next venture in 1969 was a mail order music record company. From this company Branson built a record recording and distribution company called Virgin Records, that signed well known performers such as Janet Jackson, Genesis, Culture Club, Sex Pistols and Rolling Stones. Virgin Records later become one of the top six record companies in the world.

Branson sold Virgin Records for a reported $510 million dollars to help pay for a business fight against British Airways for what Branson called a "dirty tricks campaign", since they were trying to destroy his Virgin Airline company. Branson's newest venture is Virgin Galactic which plans to fly people into space for $250,000 per rider. More than 500 people have already bought tickets, and he hopes to have his first flight in 2014.

Branson is very well known for his wild and crazy marketing and advertising stunts that he himself has done on behalf of The Virgin Group. Some of the things that he has done are more than just 'stunts'. Not only have they generated a lot of exposure in the media, but one of them was the world record for flying a hot air balloon over the Atlantic Ocean. Being an out-going person shows his true character, but he does not let what others think about him affect the way he does business.

Richard Branson has lived in many houses around the world. He recently sold his 200 acre house just outside of London in Oxfordshire for $ 1.35 million. Branson's main residence is now on his private island, called Necker Island. It is located in the British Virgin Islands. The British Virgin Islands have a zero income tax rate. Branson bought the 74-acre island when he was 28 years old for $ 250,000. Branson lives on the island with his second wife and two children. You can rent this retreat for only $60,000 a night, and that comes with a staff of 60 and a personal chef.

Richard Branson (Poster Art by Jeremy)
Richard Branson (Poster Art by Jeremy)

Researching Richard Branson has been enlightening and inspiring. It really justifies why I picked him as my hero. Not only have I learned about his amazing ability to start, build and market businesses, but I have also learned about his heroic and compassionate actions. He is involved with over 30 charities, and along with other world leaders, he has pledged to donate half of his net worth to charities when he dies. Branson has also pledged $3 billion dollars from all of the profits from his travel firms over the next 10 years, toward the reduction of global warming. In 1990, Branson along with Peter Babriel, met with Nelson Mandela to discuss their idea of a small group of global leaders working together to solve global conflicts. These leaders consist of 13 members who work together to solve human rights issues in a peaceful manner. Branson is not only my hero because of all the wealth that he has created for himself and others, but because he is consistently giving back with donations, and also through mentorship. He shows characteristics of a hero and recognizes his ability to help others to make a difference.

Branson is great businessman and philanthropist, and to me he is a hero. He's not Batman or Superman, although he sometimes acts like them. In my mind he is equally inspirational and influential, and he even try's to save lives! Ever since I first knew about Richard Branson, I've thought of him as a role model. His actions in the business world, and his many different charities are very moving. He inspires me to be like him. If I had to pick one person, fictional or real, as my hero, I would definitely pick Sir Richard Branson.

Karras, Christy. "Compass." Yahoo Travel. Yahoo, 10 Oct. 2013. Web. 28 Nov. 2013. "Richard Branson Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 27 Nov. 2013.

"Richard Branson Revealed: Bloomberg Game Changers: Video." Bloomberg.com. Bloomberg, n.d. Web. 28 Nov. 2013.

"Richard Branson." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 24 Nov. 2013. Web. 26 Nov. 2013.

"Why Richard Branson Is My Hero." - 4impact Group. Impact Group, n.d. Web. 28 Nov. 2013.

Richard Branson - Poster Art by Jeremy