Ruby Bridges

by Grace from Buffalo

A picture of Ruby Bridges (http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/brown/images/br0148s.jpg)

You may not how brave Ruby Bridges is. Ruby was African American but even though the color of her skin is darker than others doesn’t mean she can’t go to an all white school. Ruby Bridges is a heroine because she was brave enough to go into an all white school in 1960.

Ruby family were very poor. They moved to New Orleans for better work.

The judge ordered four black girls to go to two white schools. Ruby was sent to William Frantz Elementary School in Louisiana. An angry crowd was in front of her school saying like “no blacks, only whites.” For months none of the parents sent their children to school because of Ruby. Ruby did not pay attention to the mob. Surprisingly a white lady said “good morning”!

Ruby had many contributions. First Ruby and a couple other kids were brave enough to go to the first grade in William Frante Elementary School. Then she started a business, The Ruby Bridges Educational Foundation. Ruby was now a businesswoman. Ruby is still alive.

The rewards for Ruby is that because of Ruby, more African- American people went to the same schools. Ruby got to learn to do things that white kids learned too. She was very brave, because she went to an all white school. For example, Ruby would hurry through the crowd and not say a word. Another trait is that “she was polite and worked well at her desk” Mrs. Henry said. Last she is unselfish, she thinks of others. For example she was praying so that god can forgive the people who hated her.

In conclusion, Ruby Bridges was an amazing girl and has the most courage that I have ever heard of. I would not be able to do that, but she did and I hope her family is proud of her, just like I am.