Rebecca Lee Crumpler

by Haley Arnsberger and Brooke King

Our hero is Rebecca Lee Crumpler. Rebecca was born in Richmond, Virginia in 1833. She was raised in Pennsylvania by her aunt. One of Rebecca’s enormous accomplishments was how persistent she was in fighting against racism and prejudice. Rebecca was also one of the first African American women to even go to medical school, let alone that she actually became a women doctor.

She had to overcome many obstacles, including in 1861 during the Civil War she was forced to relocate to Richmond, Virginia, and quit her studies. Others said “That it was a significant achievement at the time because she was the first generation of women of color to break medical school and fight racism.”

In between 1852 and 1860 Rebecca worked as a nurse in Charlestown, Massachusetts, but a greater opportunity opened for women doctors all around the country. Maybe because a big amount of demands for medical care of Civil War veterans, leading a new generation of women including Rebecca to pursue an M.D.

Rebecca soon became a published author, which was not usual for African Americans at that time. She will be remembered forever in the hearts of African Americans who want to pursue their dreams just like Rebecca Lee Crumpler. Her achievements were outstanding and surreal. There is no doubt that people will ever forget her amazing achievements. We can both promise that we will never forget her!