Robert Downey Jr.

by Gabe from San Diego

(https://www.fanpop.com ())
(https://www.fanpop.com ())

"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny..."(Lewis). This quote by C.S. Lewis perfectly describes how Robert Downey Jr. went through his own hardships, but was able to overcome his struggles and rise back to the top. Robert Downey Jr. is one of the top actors in Hollywood today. In the past he starred in films such as "Chaplin" and "Tropic Thunder." But as famous as he is for his acting, he is also well known for his constant substance abuse. '"Robert himself had confirmed that his father had given him pot when he was seven "or eight or nine"(Buck). Eventually his addiction would kill him, and it almost did. But miraculously, through hard work and dedication, Downey was able to pull through and conquer his demons. Today he no longer has any affiliations with drugs and plays and is known for being the comic book hero, iron man. He has reclaimed his life and put himself back on the right track, and that's what makes him a hero. But what exactly does it take to be a hero? To be a hero, one must inspire others never give up. Robert Downey Jr. is my hero because he contains most, if not all of these criterion. He is caring, persevering, and most importantly, inspirational!

(http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/ ())
(http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/ ())

Robert Downey Jr. is astonishingly caring. He cares for his fans, children, and his family.For example, in this interview with Oprah, Robert talks about his dear son, Indio :"If I think of my son Indio, If I caught him smoking a joint, you know after a soccer game on the field, I would LOCK HIM DOWN!"(Winfrey).This illustrates just how much he cares about his son. Robert realizes what it's like to go down the wrong path, and wants do his best to try and keep others from making the same mistakes.Robert wants to set a good example for others and stop them from making the mistakes that he did. Another time that Robert showed some care and compassion to some one was when he visited a little boy with a partially developed arm, and presented to him his very own bionic arm. Later that day, Downey posted on his Facebook, "[I] had the absolute privilege of presenting a brand spanking new 3D-printed bionic 'Iron Man' arm to Alex, the most dapper 7-year-old I've ever met,"(Mosbergen) By helping Alex, the disabled boy, Robert shows us his compassionate side and demonstrates to us just how caring he is.With this new bionic arm, Robber has shown Alex that he could do things that he formerly would not have been able to.Over all, we can see that Robert cares about children. He doesn't want them to take the path he had previously chosen. Knowing that they are still young and innocent, he wants to keep them on the right path and show them that there is always another way. This validates that Robert Downey Jr. is a hero because he is kind and caring to children.

(http://imgkid.com/ ())
(http://imgkid.com/ ())

Another reason that Robert Downey Jr. should be considered a hero is because he is persevering and never gives up. A great example of perseverance is when Downey talks about how he was able to quit drugs and turn his life around. "It's not that difficult to overcome these seemingly ghastly problems, what's difficult is to decide." In this quote, Downey talks about his decision to quit his addiction. Even though he was completely overpowered by his demons and had stumbled onto what seemed like rock bottom, he was still able to overtake each and every one of his problems.Still, it took many attempts at rehab and multiple trips to prison before he was able to get back on track. It was a long and arduous task, but he did it anyway.Another example of how Downey never gives up is how kept climbing his way to the stop even after he had just gone through a life changing experience."Just when it looks the darkest, he manages to summon his wits and willpower to overcome the demons and not only survive, but thrive. He makes himself better than he ever was."(Kidd). Even after all the drugs and time in prison, Downey never did stop striving for greater things. After Downey had successfully conquered his addiction, he kept going beyond his previous limits. He kept climbing higher than ever could before. Robert Downey Jr has definitely been through incredibly tough times. In some of those times,it seemed like there was no hope left for Downey. But he proved us all wrong. Even after his life long drug problem and compulsive behavior, he was able to pull through and still stay caring and persevering.

But no only is Robert Downey Jr, caring, great, and persevering, he is also an inspiration to those around. He has gone through hell and back, constantly battling his inner demons. Downey was in a situation that seemed hopeless for him, but with the help of his friends, loved ones, and his willpower, he was able to overcome his demons and fix the major problems in his life. Robert Downey Jr is a hero to me because no matter what life threw at him, Robert would always seem to bounce back up stronger than before. He struggled in the past, but he was able to surpass the roadblocks and hurdles that were holding him back. And last but certainly not least, Robert Downey Jr is my hero because he shows me that it's okay to make mistakes along the way, that it's okay if things don't always go perfect. Whenever I hear a story like his, it always gives me the confidence that I need to overcome my own personal struggles and improve on myself, much like how Robert Downey Jr did. Even if I come across a seemingly titanic problem, I will always remember that,"Hardships often prepare ordinary people for an extraordinary destiny..."(Lewis)

Works Consulted

Buck, Joan Juliet. "an exceptional talent; After dark years of addiction, rehab, and prison, Robert Downey, Jr." Vogue Apr. 2006: 370. Academic OneFile. Web. 1 May 2015.

Kidd, Chip. "Robert Downey Jr." The New York Times Magazine 8 Feb. 2009: 45(L). General Reference Center GOLD. Web. 1 May 2015.

Mosbergen, Dominique. "Robert Downey Jr. Gives 7-Year-Old Boy His Very Own 'Iron Man' Bionic Arm." The Huffington Post. TheHuffingtonPost.com, n.d. Web. 04 May 2015.

"Robert Downey Jr." Bio. A&E Television Networks, 2015. Web. 04 May 2015.

Winfrey, Oprah. "Episode Dated 23 November 2004." The Oprah Winfrey Show. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 May 2015.

Bio. - A Biography on Robert Downey Jr.''s Life
Oregon State Media Inc - Robert Downey Jr. Showed His Heart To A Bleeding Stranger In The 90''S