Rosa Parks

by Meera from Beirut, Lebanon

What is a hero? What action does one take to become a hero? Who are these heroes that you hear everyone talk about, but never see? The word hero is passed around too much these days. A hero is usually an ordinary person that does or did extraordinary things. A true hero is really never a hero at all. What truly makes a hero is the courage to say and do things that no one would think of doing.

Rosa Parks is my hero. She was born on February 4th 1913, in Tuskegee, Alabama. Rosa Parks was known as the "mother of modern day civil rights movement." She is a brave woman that always used to think "Differences of race, nationality or religion should not be used to deny any human being citizenship rights or privileges." Rosa Parks is an extraordinary person because she stood up against racism and stood up for herself. It was even harder for her because she was a woman, and in those days, things were much harder for women.

Rosa Parks had an impact on the world and black people. She refused to surrender her seat to a white male passenger in Montgomery, Alabama on December 1st, 1955. Her strong and wise act changed America and its view of black people. She was sent to jail after refusing to surrender her seat. Not only that but on Dec. 5th, 1955, Rosa Parks, and three other people looked out of their windows, which was on street corners around the city and watched the yellow buses pass by. There were hardly any black riders since Rosa Park's arrest. It was a miracle. People stopped riding the buses, all because of Rosa Parks. After going through a lot of discrimination on the bus she taught people of the future to think positively and not about the difference between race or religion.

I chose Rosa Parks because she has the traits of wise, smart, brave, and strong woman that would never give up on anything. Not only that but she is a tolerant role model. I would love to be like Rosa Parks. Rosa Parks does relate to people and Sponsors in Lebanon, such as Running for Peace in Lebanon. It brings all the people of all religions and parties together to run for peace. By doing that they let all the Lebanese people think positively and nicely towards each other. Such as Rosa Parks had done. I would like to be like Rosa Parks and make a change for the people of the future and the modern day people.

Rosa Parks is a great Hero, role model and representative. She knows how to fight for her rights and that’s what makes her special. She is a woman that took the action to become a hero and represented the meaning of a hero to black people, and the people of the United States of America. As I said a hero is usually an ordinary person that does or did extraordinary things. Rosa Parks did that and changed something that helped the past and the future.

Useful Websites:
http://www.achivment.org
http://www/girlpower.gov/girlarea/gpquests/rosaparks.htm