Rosa Parks

by Allen from New York

Rosa Parks: The Mother of Civil Rights

On February 4, 1913 a special person was born. Her name was Rosa Parks. As she was growing up, her father left Rosa and her mother. Then she and her mother went to live on a farm with her grandfather. She worked very hard growing crops. Her grandfather wanted everyone to know that he was not afraid to use his shotgun. Rosa and her mother kept their clothes on while they were sleeping so that no one could harm them. They kept their clothes on because they were afraid of the KKK. One day, when she was a little girl playing outside, a boy walked up to her and said, "I’m going to punch you," for no reason at all. Later Rosa had to drop out of school to take care of her sick mother. When her mother died, Rosa went back to finish high school. She had to suffer because of the color of her skin. She had to walk many miles to get to school.

On December 1, 1955, Rosa Parks did a magnificent thing. She changed our history. On that day she changed our laws for good by not giving up her seat on the bus. She had to change the laws so that no one would be judged by the color of their skin. Now black people will not have to sit in back of a bus or in any other vehicle.

Rosa wanted to defend what is right. She was often known as a Freedom Fighter and the Mother of Civil Rights. She inspired many people from all over the world to do what is right. Rosa Parks made it possible to be in other places. She changed the racial laws. Thanks to Rosa Parks, black people no longer have to sit in the back of the bus.