Rosa Parks

by Alexis from Des Plaines

Rosa as a kid. ( ())
Rosa as a kid. ( ())

Rosa Parks grew up in Pine Level, Alabama. She was born on February 4th, 1913. As a kid she and her brother were pelted with garbage, food, and rocks. Rosa had a wonderful supporting family. Rosa has her mom Leona who is a teacher, her dad James who builds houses, and her brother Sylvester. When she was 19 years old Rosa married Raymond Parks in the year of 1932. Then, she moved to Montgomery, Alabama.

Rosa Parks helped stop segregation. Segregation is a law that states that African American people were not able to go to the same public places as white people and they had to go to different schools. This is what happened: One day Rosa was riding the bus and a white man was standing. The bus driver told her to get up. Rosa refused because she thought it was unfair that she had to get up just because she was black. The bus driver then called the police and she was arrested. Rosa's husband had soon bailed her out. After that, Rosa had started a boycott and no African American people rode the bus. That had soon brought bus companies to lose their business. With the help of the African American churches, all the African American People, and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. they stopped segregation.

(google images ())
(google images ())

Her whole life she thought segregation was wrong. I look up to Rosa because she stood up for what she believed in. This taught me that with a little help and motivation you could do anything.

( ())
( ())

I got my information from I am Rosa Parks By: Jim Day and Rosa Parks.