Stg 1st class Randall D. Shughart

by Zach from San Diego

"Theirs not to reason why, Theirs but to do and die" (Alfred Tennyson). To fight to save a country or even one person is a noble reason to put your life on the line. Randall Shughart did not fall short of showing his love for his country or for his fellow soldiers. "Randall Shughart was born in Lincoln, Nebraska where his father was stationed at Lincoln Air Force Base. After his father was discharged, the family moved to Newville, Pennsylvania and Shughart grew up on the family's dairy farm. A graduate of Big Spring High School in Newville, he had a brother and two sisters, and worked hard tending the herd and farming. He enlisted in the Army while still in school, and went to Ranger school at Ft. Lewis in Washington after basic training. After qualifying for Special Forces, he was transferred to Ft. Bragg, North Carolina before being sent to Somalia." ("Randall Shughart"). Shughart died on October 3rd, 1993 fighting in Mogadishu, Somalia and was awarded the Medal of Honor for his bravery, integrity and his inspiration to others. Bravery is when one puts his or her life on the line to fight for something they believe in. Making the right choose even in a difficult situation is a sign of integrity. Inspiration means making others see the goodness and hope during a tough time period. Stg. 1st class Randall D. Shughart shows all 3 of these heroic traits throughout his military career therefore he is looked as a hero of war.

"Fight till the last gasp"(William Shakespeare). Fighting to protect others and a country until the last breath is the ultimate demonstration of bravery. Stg. 1st class Randall D. Shughart demonstrates extreme bravery throughout his life. "Shughart joined the Army while attending Big Spring High School in Newville" (Williams). Joining the Army is a brave choice to make because signing up opens up the possibility of dying for your country. Not many people have what it takes to join the armed special forces. On October 3rd 1993 in Mogadishu, Somalia two Black Hawk helicopters were shot down . One of the Black Hawks needed help fast and no one could move in to help. Stg. 1st class Randall D Shughart and his team leader knew they could go in to assist. "Saying that the situation was already too dangerous for the two Delta snipers to effectively protect the Blackhawk crew from the ground" ("Delta Force Heroes: Gary I. Gordon and Randall D. Shughart"). Stg. 1st Class Shughart was told that the area where the Black Hawk went done was to dangerous to go in. Knowing this he still went in to protect the Black Hawk crew. He helped protect and fought until death for a fellow soldier named Mike Durant. Stg. 1st class Shughart was a very brave soldier he gave he's life to fight for his country and to save Mike Durant.

Stg. 1st class Shughart had a lot integrity which led him to give his life to do save Mike Durant. Stg. 1st class Shughart was willing to give his life to do what he thought was the right decision. Shughart then "volunteered without hesitation -- not once or twice, but three times -- to be inserted to protect the four critically wounded personnel at the crash site" ("Military.com Content"). He knew that helping the crew of the shot down Black Hawk was a dangerous thing and could lead to his death. Even knowing this he still went in to help the fallen Black Hawk crew and died fighting for them. Stg. 1st class Shughart would not stop until he got to the shot down Black Hawk." Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader received permission to perform this volunteer mission. When debris and enemy ground fires at the site caused them to abort the first attempt, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader were inserted one hundred meters south of the crash site. Equipped with only his sniper rifle and a pistol, Sergeant First Class Shughart and his team leader, while under intense fire from the enemy, fought their way through a dense maze of shanties and shacks to reach the critically injured crew members"(Williams).Stg. 1st class Shughart made the right choices. He was not asked to go in to help the crew of the crashed Black Hawk. He volunteered to go in even when the people above him said that He would be going up against unbelievable odds and that he couldn't stop until he got to the fallen Black Hawk crew. Stg. 1st Class Shughart made the ultimate sacrifice giving his life to do what was right.

Through Stg. 1st class Shughart sacrifice he is looked as very inspiring individual. Stg. 1st Class Shughart inspired people because he put others above himself."Randall Shughart died in the most courageous and selfless way ... clearly above and beyond the call of duty"("Military.com Content."). He went beyond the call of duty to help a fellow soldier even if it meant that he would die. He loved his country and fellow soldiers that he put he's life down to protect and serve them. Stg. 1st class Shughart was awarded the Medal of Honor for his actions. "Delta Force. Shughart posthumously received the Medal of Honor for his actions during the Battle of Mogadishu in October 1993" ("Delta Force Heroes: Gary I. Gordon and Randall D. Shughart"). He was awarded the Medal of Honor because he volunteered help out the fallen Black Hawk crew he choose to help them in time of need.Stg. 1st class Shughart made the ultimate choice and inspired many people and was recognized for it. Stg. 1st class Shughart an inspiring person because he showed us the true meaning of putting others in front for ourselves.

Stg. 1st class Randall D. Shughart is known as a hero. Stg. 1sr class Shughart was brave, inspiring, and had a lot of integrity. He died fighting to the last breath to protect a country he loved and a fellow soldier. That inspires me and inspires other. Always remember the sacrifice of Stg. 1st class Randall D. Shughart because he died fighting for something bigger than himself and for a man that he didn't know very well now because of this sacrifices Mike Durant can still say good night to his son and daughter.

"What makes a hero?" Washington Times [Washington, DC] 4 July 2002: A11. Biography In Context. Web. 7 May 2013

"2 Killed in Somalia Are to Get Medal of Honor." New York Times 15 May 1994. Biography In Context. Web. 7 May 2013

"Randall Shughart." PBS. PBS, n.d. Web. 07 May 2013.

"MedalOfHonor." CMOHS.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 09 May 2013.
Williams, Gary.
  "Medal of Honor“ Sergeant First Class Randy D. Shughart : Gary Williams." Gary Williams RSS. N.p., 24 Sept. 2012. Web. 08 May 2013.

"Delta Force Heroes: Gary I. Gordon and Randall D. Shughart." Specialopsorg RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 May 2013.

"Military.com Content." Military.com Content. N.p., n.d. Web. 08 May 2013.