Roger Staubach

by Mac from San Diego

Staubach drops to pass for the Dallas Cowboys (http://sportsradio1210.com)

Football great, military veteran, and remarkable man...an apt description for the American hero Roger Staubach. Not highly recruited to play college football out of high school, no one thought Staubach's life would have turned out the way it did. Staubach came from a humble beginning in the town of Cincinnati, Ohio. Growing up, Staubach played many sports and proved from a young age his ability to excel under pressure. Staubach later attended a private Catholic school by the name of Purcell High. In High School Staubach played football, basketball, and baseball showing the most potential in baseball and football. After High School, Staubach went on to bigger and better things including the New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI), where he played Quarterback. After a few years at NMMI he transferred to the Naval Academy at Annapolis. While at the Academy he won the 1963 Heisman Trophy and more importantly restored the Navy Football Program to national prominence. Following graduation from the academy he was signed by the Dallas Cowboys in 1965. Since he still had four years of service remaining, Staubach first went to battle in Vietnam before he could continue playing the game he loved. When Staubach finally hit the field for the Cowboys he didn't disappoint. At the end of his career he led the team to two Super Bowl victories and individually won numerous NFL passing titles. The icing on the cake was when Staubach was inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in 1985, topping off a career that is matched by no other. Nowadays it is virtually impossible to find an all-around hero. Whether it was leading his team to a Super Bowl or serving his country in Vietnam, Roger Staubach will always be known for his courage and selfless attitude on and off the field.

Staubach strolls through the Navy campus (http://www.life.com)

Staubach took his down to earth, selfless attitude to both the field and everyday life. Staubach always put others in front of himself knowing that without others, life would not be nearly as fulfilling: "In this life you have to maintain a certain balance to succeed," he said. "It's easy to go through life always thinking about yourself, but the real challenge is trying to put yourself in other people's shoes. It's the balance between giving and taking that sets winners apart." (Staubach). Staubach achieved many great things in his life, but his achievements could have only happened with the help of others. In modern times many people who are fortunate enough to have success don't thank anyone and treat their glory as if they have done everything themselves. The selflessness of Staubach illustrates he is a man of humble beginnings and will never forget his roots and morals he was raised with. Staubach showed his humility by giving back and talking to fellow naval grads at a seminar: "I have the distinct honor of speaking to students that are in the midst of doing great things for our country," said Staubach. "While serving in the military I learned a lot of things; most importantly the fact that you, as military officers, are in roles that [put] other people's lives at stake" (Staubach). Staubach's humble ego is proven when he said he had the honor of speaking to mere college graduates. Although these people are going to serve our country, which is one of the greatest honors, they are college kids and Roger Staubach is Roger Staubach. If this puts it into perspective, if you don't know about football and you were talking to Roger you probably wouldn't know all he has achieved. Staubach has accomplished many things, but throughout these accomplishment he has thanked all the people who helped him along the way. Staubach's selfless attitude influences many and should be admired by all.

as you can see Staubach was quite studious as well (http://bleacherreport.com/)

The courageous actions of Staubach brought him glory, honor, and respect from all. Staubach dealt with adversity in a way that was admired by sports junkies and everyday citizens alike. His fighting attitude was one of the direct reasons why Staubach was so successful: "Life is a series of mortar attacks, and you just have to deal with it," he said. "The sooner you learn how to face adversity as a part of a team, the sooner you will be on the track to success both on and off the field." ( Roger Staubach). Staubach was one of the most respected and admired men of his time. On and off the field his actions exemplified those of the classiest man. His positive attitude let him fight through even the toughest times. The words of Staubach's: "Life is a series of mortar attacks" relates directly to the saying, "There are always clouds in the sky, but if you continue to fight through them, then the success is greater than ever before." Staubach's picture wasn't always perfect, but he never gave up and as a result, he was one of the best quarterbacks and humans to ever live. Staubach also showed great courage by never taking any short-cuts: "I've learned there are never traffic jams on the extra mile," Staubach said. "Those in life that really put forth the extra effort, and are tenacious in all their affairs will succeed. How you deal with adversity, reveals true genius. How you deal with prosperity conceals it."(Staubach). All people should model their actions after this quote because of the way Staubach describes how short cuts never benefit people in the long run. He emphasizes that people who are tenacious and willing to work will be the ones who ultimately benefit from the success. He also states that when you acquire this success you should be humble and grateful for your blessings. It is evident to me that Staubach believed in this very quote, "If you have to say how good you are you probably aren't that good." Courage is a word that is tossed around way too loosely these days. If you want to find the real definition of courage look at Roger Staubach. His ability to fight through the rough times and never take short cuts has made him a perfect role model for all people.

Staubach rolls out while playing for Navy. (http://www.sikids.com)

Roger Staubach is one of those heroes who's hard to replicate. His courage and selfless attitude was and is truly unmatched by others. Through the years Staubach accomplished many things, but through those accomplishments his morals never wavered. Staubach stood for the right things and was always humble no matter his success. Staubach's morals are what set him apart from all other men of his time. The way he set aside the game he loves, football, to serve his country is a humbling sight to all. The courage it takes knowing you could lose everything at war and still going through with it is an action admirable to the greatest extent. In today's day and age, Stuabach's name may not be a household one, but his life as a whole should be known for great morals, courage, and selflessness.

Works SIted

Grant, Ammon. Football Legend Roger Staubach Lectures at Naval Postgraduate School (2010): n. pag. Web. 14 Dec 2010.

"Heisman Award Fine, but "Jolly Roger" Staubach Eyes Army Tilt." Desert News Salt Lake Telegram 27 November 1963: 2B. Print.

"Roger Staubach." Pro Football Hall of Fame. Pro Football Hall of Fame, n.d. Web. 14 Dec 2010. .

"Roger Staubach." American Decades. Ed. Judith S. Baughman, et al. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 9 Dc. 2010.

Pro Football Hall of Fame - The Pro Football Hall of Fame show the athletes that have been inducted into the hall
Famous Texans - Documents famous people from texas
Pro Football Reference - Shows everything about notable football players and there teams
NFL - Shows different players stats