Ronald W. Reagan

by Tyler from St Vincent de Paul

Whenever I hear the name Ronald Reagan, I immediately think about how great a president he was and how great an American he was. In Ronnie’s earlier years of his life, he worshipped football more than anything in the world. When he entered Dixon High School in 1924, he really wanted to play for the school's team, like his big brother. When it came to tryouts in the fall, Ronnie was one of the puniest kids there; he stood at 5 foot 3 inches and only weighed 108 pounds. The day finally came when coach posted the rosters. Ronnie did not make the team. Although, he was disappointed, he never gave up, and the next few years Ronald Reagan had a starting spot on the team. This relates to me because I am a small, skinny kid and I can still play hard and hit harder then all the bigger kids.

Once Reagan got out of high school, he was interested in finding a job in radio. He searched and searched for a well-paying job in Chicago’s large broadcasting businesses. The NBC program director said, “We can’t afford to take people without experience, you’ve got every reason to try for a job in radio, but first go out to what we call 'the sticks.' You'll find someone who'll take you on and give you experience; then one day, you can come to Chicago." Ronald took his advice and found a job in “the sticks”

Reagan later on was tired of being in the radio business. He sought change and, on January 4, 1966, in a television broadcast, he announced his intention to seek the Republican nomination for governor.

After his years of governing California, he was determined to become the next President of the United States. In the 1980 primaries, Reagan's supporters were booming and won him the election in 1980. As President, he sought to make changes after Jimmy Carter had made bad decisions for our country. The first thing he wanted to improve was National Security. America’s Army was weak at that time and very neglected. Ronald Reagan changed that immediately. As his term went on, there were a couple of small wars in Lebanon, Beirut, and Grenada. As a President, he didn’t carry a wallet, money or drivers license - only secret codes that were capable of bringing about the annihilation of much of the world as we knew it. The codes that were able to unleash the American nuclear weapons in retaliation for an attack were all in Ronald Reagan’s hands.

Ronald Reagan was a very important part of the history of our country. He was also voted on National Polls to be the greatest American to ever have lived. In 2004, Ronald Reagan one of the greatest people to have ever ruled these lands had died. So whenever I think of a hero, I remember Ronald Wilson Reagan.