Rudy

by Maeve from Peterborough

My hero is my old dog, Rudy. Rudy was a member of my family since before I was born. When I was brought into my family, Rudy was 6 years old, and automatically took the job as my ‘babysitter.’ Whenever I was upset or cried in my crib, he would bark until my parents came into the room and made sure I was OK.

Rudy was like my little brother to me, and as I grew up, he had to deal with my poking and prodding all his life. I remember to this day, shoving poor Rudy in my wagon and walking up and down our long driveway for hours on end with him skidding around in the back trying to keep his balance. Or the times when I would demand him to sleep at the foot of my bed until one day when my parents tried to explain to me that he was too old, and that if he fell, he would get hurt.

Rudy was a great dog and he put up with me as a young child, and both my younger sisters after me. He died in late September of last year, a few days before his 18th birthday. My family and I will sorely miss him, and i will remember him as my first, and most favourite pet i have ever had.