Press_Release

MY HERO and Creative Visions Foundation Honor Extraordinary Burmese Doctor

Contact:  Jeanne Meyers-                                                                                                    FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Co-founder and Director

The MY HERO Project

[email protected]

Los Angeles, CA - 8/2/12 - The MY HERO Project and The Creative Visions Foundation are working in tandem to celebrate a heroic doctor from Burma. The event will take place on Sunday, August 19th at the Dan Eldon Center for Creative Activism.

Doctor Sasa was featured in Diane Namm's film Sasa, which recounts the young man's struggle to become a doctor despite tremendous odds.  Sasa grew up in a small rural village along the border of Burma and India. He witnessed his fellow villagers suffer from lack of health care and governmental neglect. This suffering was the catalyst that drove Sasa to practice medicine. Unfortunately, he had no access to proper medical education. Undeterred, Sasa found a way to attend high school and college. Through hard work and determination, he graduated with highest honors.

Upon returning to his village, Sasa realized that a college degree was not enough to change the conditions in his village. The villagers pooled their money to send Sasa off to achieve his dream, to become a doctor.  While attending medical school in Armenia, Sasa learned that his people’s living conditions had worsened, through a plague of bamboo rats, famine and atrocities committed by soldiers. As soon as Sasa completed medical school, he returned home to fulfill his promise to his people. The villagers came together to build a medical clinic where Sasa could practice.  He now serves as their primary physician and trains young people in medical care.

Sasa was honored by MY HERO with the People's Choice Award.  A panel of judges made up of filmmakers, students and teachers selected the short film made by Diane Namm to receive this special award. The filmmaker and hero will be at the event on August 19th to accept their award.

http://myhero.com/sasa

Join MY HERO and The Creative Visions Foundation as we honor the extraordinary young doctor.

Sunday, August 19th, 2012

5:00 PM – 7:00 PM

Dan Eldon Center for Creative Activism

18820 Pacific Coast Hwy

Malibu, CA 90265  USA

For more information about Sasa and his work contact:

Diane Namm

[email protected]

609-374-4046 (mobile)

For more info on Creative Visions Foundation visit their web site: creativevisions.org

The MY HERO Screening Room - Watch the MY HERO People's Choice Award winner Sasa
Creative Visions Foundation
Hero story on Sasa